Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Panel Adheasives

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by BKinzey, Dec 29, 2006.

1. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Can't weld so I'm looking for reccommendations on specific panel adheasives to use.

I've got a few rust through spots in the floorboards that I want to patch. The floor will be covered so it doesn't have to be perfect seams. I plan to use pop rivets to hold the panel in place.

Also is it better to attach a panel on the exterior or interior of the floorboards or does it really matter?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Fusor and 3M's offering seem to be the most popular...

trim your rusty areas back.. overlap your patches 3/4" to an inch.. put plenty of adhesive, so it oozes out everywhere.. remove excess.. easier to just patch from the inside.. drag a brush over your seams afterward, top and bottom, to seal it up...

3. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

I Was Wondering About These Products Myself. I Guy In Our Body Shop Said It Isn't A Good Sustitute For Welding Because It Will Eventually Come Loose From Vibration.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Eh, I haven't played with em much when it comes to bodywork.. mostly boats.. I do like the corrosion resistence built into the product.. i take every precaution when welding patches, cut to fit, weldthru primer, etc, but you never know...

They make some incredible urethanes/epoxies nowadays.. work really well, but many have a "replacement life" to them.... I know there are some in the marine industry that have 5 to 7 yr time till they need to be redone.. The Fusor seems to be the most often used in automotive, many, many panels are glued nowadays, factory and repair...

5. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

fusor: if preped right no worries

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

SEMS patch panel adhesives. i use them all the time at the shop, most commonly for attaching aluminum blocks to the inside of a front cap for support to the chassis. once its on, its NOT coming off. supposed to have a 5 min working time, mispositioned one once, and at 10 minutes it tried to pull it off. ended up tearing a hole in the fiberglass cap to get it off.