Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

paper gasket or forma-gasket (silicone) for TBI inj pod spacer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 31, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Got me one of these
    [​IMG]

Need to install it but the local Auto places dont carry just the inj pod gasket (would have to buy two rebuild kits). Could a gas resistant RTV be used here or do I need to order a couple gaskets from like turbo city or some place? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

TIM! you got a PN for this and price for 2? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't believe you need any gaskets there. There is no fuel or anything that needs sealing at that location AFAIR when i installed mine a couple years ago.

Silicone does not belong anywhere near fuel related items.

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i just put one on mine. i tried it with the gasket on but i couldnt' get the fuel fittings to go back on. so i started grinding the tb for clearance and realized that i had to take of a ton of material. then i fouled the threads on the pod and the fuel fitting. then i read the directions and it said you don't need the gasket. now a trip to the j-yard for a new tbi. in effect the spacer only raises the pod about an eighth of an inch up. supposedly that's all it takes. so then after a fifty dollar rebuild kit, a new throttle body and hair pulling, its back and running. turned into a $150 project for a 20 dollar part. god i love these trucks.

4. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

you can always go pick up a roll of that cork 'make your own' gasket stuff if your so inclined you need a gasket. its cheap, unroll the cork on what u need a gasket for and tap the edges with a hammer to cut to form. I've done it, works good. Just takes a lil patience.

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Many years ago I created one myself by glueing two pod gaskets together. I never had any issues with that setup and it only cost me whatever the three longer screws cost over at the hardware store. IIRC, it is still in the truck today. I thought it should work, and being the cheap bastard I am, I figured it was worth a try and it was /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have never even seen that gasket before. If you end up needing it I can probably dig up the part number eventually if it's even available seperately.

Good luck, usually that little crap doesn't come by itself.

Best bet might be the dealer first.