Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parents are thinking of getting a quadcab dakota 4x4 w/4.7

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VisionxOrb, Dec 15, 2003.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Now sure Id rather wish they would get a fullzize crewcab chevy or even a superduty(flame suit on) but afterall it will be my mothers truck so She would be better in somthing a little smaller. Anyway I was looking at these things on there home page an noticed that there avaible with a 5 speed automatic (BMW?) I was wondering If anyone knew how this trans compares to the regular 4spd auto. Also is there anything I should let them know about this truck before it goes definte in my moms mind?

Thanx for any thoughts/comments.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If they're getting a new Dakota, the only thing they need to know is HEMI. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No HEMI in Dakota's yet, to my knowledge anyway. All I've heard of them is that the 4.7s have V6 like power with V8 gas mileage.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Oh yeah, I was thinking Darango, sorry, my bad. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I've ridden in one, with the manual and it was very gutless. But the vehicle itself didn't seem too bad.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

you are saying the 4.7 is gutless? the 4.7 MOVES. my buddy has a reg. cab 4wd and he was right there next to us when we raced him in a lincoln Mark VIII, he stayed right next to us until about 75, when he started falling behind.

the 4.7 is a nice motor, and get a lot better mileage than the old 318 and 360.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I drove one a 2003 model. Rack and pinon steering was right on the money. The 4.7 had a smooth yet wide power band. As for the 5 speed auto it is and it isn't. How it work's is there is actually 2 "2'nd" gears and the one that best fits Your driving style will be more pronounced.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The lady that works here with us has an ext. cab Dakota, 4wd with the 4.7.. I have driven that thing on a few occasions and the 4.7 is a very nice and powerful engine. Granted I never towed anything with it, but it sure ran nice unloaded!!! And its quick! I'd be happy with one!

But whats with the 5 speed auto? You think its a BMW tranny? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 4.7L engine is really nice in a smaller vehicle like the Dakota or Grand Cherokee and has plenty of power. The "5-speed" automatic is the only auto available with the 4.7 and I also really like the way it works. I think part of the reason the 4.7 feels strong is how the trans performs. As far as being a BMW trans, I believe this transmission was developed by Chrysler.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

In our old grand cherokee the 4.7 would roast the tires for a block, now my friend has one in his durango and it wont hardly chirp them. We raced one day he never had a prayer. Im not sure on how much a dakota weighs but if its close to the grand cherokee, take it out for a little ricer fun. It hung right with my friends caddy, yet the durango again, doesnt even put up a semblance of a fight.

11. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

I have a 2001 quadcab with a 4.7. and 4 speed automatic. The engine has a ton of power and gets decent gas mileage.( I can squeeze 20 out of it on the highway before the body lift and increase tire size)) I have the AWD and 3:92 gears and it is pretty damn quick, The perfomance on ice and snow is outstanding and I regularly tow a pop up trailer that is a bit on the heavy side and it handles that like a dream. Thats the good. Now the not so good..
    I'm not sure if they made any changes to the front brakes which are not worth crap, The rotors warp quickly (10k) and eventually fall out of warranty. I spent the 250.00 bucks for powerslot rotors and good pads. No more problems there. The ball joints on my year are not greasable and are prone to failure. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Mine have not yet and I have 33 inch tires with a 3 inch body lift on the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'm not sure if the changed the ball joints to greasable and replaceable or not. Mine requires either the upper and lower A -Arm assm to be replaced or you can drill ou the rivets and go with a moog or similar replacment when they do fail.
    The truck has served me well sofar and has 58,000 miles on it. I don't baby it and am generally rough on equipment.

hope that helps,
    Brett

12. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

my buddy has a 2001 or 2002 dakota RT. Its got the 5.9 in it and WOW that thing is fast!!

13. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Get the 4.7 and make sure they get the 3.92 with the Trak-lok. It will run. One of my other trucks is a 98 Dakota with a 318 and I love it.

14. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, good stuff, also about the tranny I just said that because the wedsite called it a ZF- somthing and the BMW trans are ZF somthing so since diamler is over in europe maybe they brought some of those goodies with them.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The trans is called a 45RFE or 545RFE.