Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parents! How many outside activities do your kids participate in?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Jan 25, 2006.

?

My kids are involved in...

1. 0-2 activities

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. 3-4 activities

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. more than 4 activities

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

This is a source of contention within our family. My brother has 3 kids and they are all involved in several outside activities all year round. My mom and I both feel that they are too busy shuttling kids from one place to another to have any sort of meaningful family time. There have been occasions where we had to reschedule a family event because of one of the kid's activities. This is in addition to going to school and whatever school activities they have.

The oldest (14) has:
    tae kwon do
    basketball
    scouts
    baseball (in the summer)

The middle (11) has:
    2 dance classes
    girlscouts
    soccer
    softball

The baby (6) has:
    nothing but school right now

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

My two year old does gymnastics (not exactly outside), swimming classes, and various outdoor stuff with us (snowshoeing, bikeriding, etc). This summer she will being doing "tots" soccer and skiing next winter. That being said, the majority of it is "non-organized" that we just do together, and I think it actually helps with the family time, plus at her age we felt it was important to get her into a group activity that will teach socialization skills and such. Once she's old enough for school, it'll all be up to her as to what she wants to do.

3. shewheeler

Ooops... didn't mean "outside" like "out of doors". More like activities outside of regular school or family stuff. My brother and sis-in-law have their kids in so many activities that they have recruited my mom into helping them shuttle the kids around after school.

4. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

My sister is the same way. But you know Im glad my neice and nephew are getting exposed to things that I was not as a kid. Kinda makes me jealous.

5. shewheeler

I dunno. None of them look very happy to me. Not saying additional activities are bad, but I think it's too much. I doubt there are many days in a month where they are all together in the house at the same time.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We try for one 'outside' activity for each of my daughters. Both are currently in figure skating and the youngest also is in Brownies. Skating is twice a week...

When skating is done we'll let them choose another activity. We just want them to not be so busy that they don't enjoy what they're doing, and get to do a good variety of things.

Rene

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Not a parent, but Ill reply anyway.

When I was younger, I never did any 'outside activities.' Time after school was spent learning the value of a dollar (cutting grass, rakin leaves), and the weekends were spent in games of pickup football with kids from the neighborhood.

No pads, hits that make football movies look weak, and playin in the rain all probably explain why I am like I am. Cant forget the body outline imprints in the backyard:eek1:

Anyway, I dont think my parents wanted to force me, or even pressure me to, because my cousin who is 5 or 6 yrs older than me, was pushed to play every sport imaginable, all seasons, all year. He wasnt exactly what you would call, how shall I put this, an 'A' student. I think his last 2 or 3yrs of highschool, he quit all the extra activities, and his grades went up substantially.

It almost sounds like they are forcing the kids to do all this. I cant see any 14year old wanting to be go-go-go all the time. IMO, they should cut em back, unless the kids really like em, and they aint affecting their schoolwork.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my wife was a nanny for two kids that were always in something and the kids hated it.but it was easier than actualy spending time with them.

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

There are a lot of X factors in that question.

I'd say kids that are busy doing positive things don't have much time to get in trouble or hang with the "cool" scum.

They can always try to cut back on one or two activities if the kids feel overwhelmed. I wouldn't recommend giving them all up. At least their parents care enough to devote that kind of time.

10. shewheeler

That's kinda what I think is my sis-in-law's problem...:rolleyes:

11. shewheeler

I agree with some of this, but IMO they do not have a "family" life at all...

To clarify... I created the poll to get an idea of what is "normal" for other families. I doubt my bro or SIL would be willing to take the kids out of any activities unless the kids said they didn't want to do them anymore.

I can see wanting to give your kids socialization and expose them to different things, but where is the play time? These kids think that sitting in front of a computer game or "playing" some game on TV is playing. They never draw, read, color, make mud pies, roller skate, ride bikes, play ball or anything else that I would consider normal kid play.

All of that aside, they are getting gyped out of having a "family."

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Do they ever spend time with Auntie Cheryle? That'd be your opportunity to re-edumacate them on some different aspects of family life.

13. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

My oldest Does Baseball (Spring and Fall) He wants to start Tae-kwon-do
    The youngest did Baseball but wants to do Tennis and Tae-kwon-do

They both do Baseball camps during off-season. They spend alot of time outside playing diferent stuff when its warm out but they are pretty much low maintenance.

This year they are also going to take Golf Lessons with me but I dont count that as an oganized sport....yet

14. shewheeler

I take my niece out occasionally, but usually they are "too busy":rolleyes:

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:D Whell , were going to see the monster truck show here soon,:D , the thing is, i have a company to run, and i just dont have any time at all. :crazy: When i get the time, i try to do as many activities as possible, games (my kids are 3 years old, and 4 mo. ) , as far as going out to do things my wife does most of that right now. :crazy: Sheesh, i wish i had more time. :crazy: Always remember, the time they have for activities with there kids, they will never be able to take that time back. I take my 3 yr old boy out on jobs with me here and there, as far as activities, there really isnt any in his age range yet.I cant wait for baseball games and stuff though!! :D

16. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My daughter plays soccer, tball (in season), girly scouts, and hunts and fishes with me.