Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Park lights turn on when I brake?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cochino12, Dec 8, 2004.

1. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

allright when I brake my parklights are lighting up now? I also noticed my horn and turn signals have suddenly stopped working? Where the heck to I even start checking for problems? Thanks in advance for any help

2. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

check the flasher thingy mabob its not a fuse but its a...... round or square thing plugs in where the fuses go its called a........ damn cant think of it relay thats it.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

also check the 4 wires that run to the taillights inside the framerail on the driver side. Mine were all melted together when one light came on they all did:yikes:

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

<<<Mine were all melted together when one light came on they all did>>>

mine did the same a few months back...

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sounds like you are somehow getting contact between your tail light and brake light wires some place. Maybe they have been rubbing together and wore through the insulation and the wires are making contact? Do your brake lights come on when you turn on your parking lights?

6. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Once you get the turn signals working by fixing the flasher or the short. The next thing is to see where your brake light wires are touching. Turn on the left and right turn signals, do the parking lights flash too? With both directions? If it only flashes with one side then you have narrowed it down to which two wires are contacting each other. I had a similar problem and that is how I found it, it turned out there was two wires pinched together in that same 4-wire harness that runs to the tail lights. Then later on it happened again, I swore I fixed it right. Well this time it was a different problem, one of those "Hoppy" plug in trailer wiring connectors was shorting out inside of itself, cheap crap.

Good luck man.

7. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I would check the bulbs to make sure none of the filaments are touching one another. Did you do ANY work to the truck shortly before this started happening?

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like two wires touching or a bad ground. I would check/clean the ground wire for the rear lights. If that doesn't help, then look for pinched/shorted wires.

9. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

Ok I am an idiot. After all the searching for grounds, broken wires, bulbs etc. it turns out that the hazard button was on but it doesnt flash so I didnt know it was on. Thanks for all the replies