Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parked the K5 and won't be driving it for a long time...maybe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Parked the K5 and won\'t be driving it for a long time...maybe

Well....
    the US military base closed here. One of many that are closing in Korea. Nearest one from where I am is a 4 hour boat ride and the a 6 hour drive!
    With the closing of this base....goes my gasoline! Actually our gasoline! A number of retired military living here. And so the $1.25 a gallon days are gone!
    Gas here goes for almost $4.90 a gallon on the local market!
    26 gallon tank.
    8-10 miles to the gallon...
    I have to put the 'ol gal down I guess. Put her out of her misery! Cause she ain't drinkin' $4.90 a gallon to run around town!
    Quite a few K5's here that Koreans have bought and now many can't afford to drive them! Can't even give them away for free!
    What's a fellow to do?
    Someone suggested hooking a LPG system as many K5's here have done.
    But...a K5 running on LPG!?
    How degrading!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Parked the K5 and won\'t be driving it for a long time...maybe

Do a search here and on pirate4x4.com for "Propane."

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it will probably run better on LPG then it ever did on gasoline.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    it will probably run better on LPG then it ever did on gasoline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoother maybe but not have the power unless it is modified to run better on propane.

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the base closures. Which bases are on the chopping block?

6. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Which bases are being closed...
    Almost all along the DMZ. A few in and around Seoul and else where in the ROK.
    It's easier to say which will stay open...Youngsan is also closing. But Osan, the Air Base, Camp Humphries, Dague, Kunsan will remain active. Busan is closing but relocating.
    Marine Corps Base...Pohang will remain.
    Korea is NOT the choice for military members even though the powers to be will say otherwise. The problem is the Koreans.
    Is Korea the desirable choice for visitors or those looking for fun times? No. Most of the time, Koreans are their own worse enemy. Many people I know make it a point never to buy any Korean products on principle. Why? They do not want to support such a rabidly nationalistic, xenophobic and mercantilist economy. Koreans are so predatory and nationalistic. They have a closed economy and a zero-sum attitude to trade. Protectionism in the early stages of an economy is not unreasonable. Dealing with Koreans is like dealing with bright adolescents. They're full of energy and want to do everything yesterday. But they throw tantrums and are prone to dangerous and erratic behavior if their whims are not indulged. In most countries, intellectuals become universal. You learn that great ideas and values have no national boundaries. What is profoundly disturbing is that Korean intellectuals become more xenophobic and nationalistic, and perpetuate the idea that all of Korea's problems are the result of willfulness by foreigners. This is the mark of a scoundrel. Korean society makes a sharp distinction between an individual's inner circle of family, friends and business colleagues, and outsiders. Members of the inner circle must always be treated with absolute respect and courtesy, while strangers are treated with indifference. Korean society is not egalitarian: a person's status is strictly defined in relation to others. How do foreigners and or the US military fit into this scheme? The simple answer is they don't. Koreans however do want your money but once they get it, you are useless to them. Look at the Japanese that visit Korea. Many Koreans hate the Japanese, but to their faces, they welcome them because they want their money. Behind their backs, many Koreans are backstabbers.
    I'm not anti Korea nor am I flaming them. They do a great job of that themselves.
    This is not meant to sound sexism...but the women are great...it's the Korean men that ruin everything.

7. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Isn't the parts for LPG harder to get and more expensive cause they are less common. I know cummins sold alot of these motors to Xcel energy around here and they switched alot of them out because they were crap. Parts were very expensive and hard to get ahold of. We switched alot of the smaller one's from LPG to 3126 cats.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Isn't the parts for LPG harder to get and more expensive cause they are less common. I know cummins sold alot of these motors to Xcel energy around here and they switched alot of them out because they were crap. Parts were very expensive and hard to get ahold of. We switched alot of the smaller one's from LPG to 3126 cats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, there are places online where you can get kits for under $1000, with everything.

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Which bases are being closed...
    Almost all along the DMZ. A few in and around Seoul and else where in the ROK.
    It's easier to say which will stay open...Youngsan is also closing. But Osan, the Air Base, Camp Humphries, Dague, Kunsan will remain active. Busan is closing but relocating.
    Marine Corps Base...Pohang will remain.
    Korea is NOT the choice for military members even though the powers to be will say otherwise. The problem is the Koreans.
    Is Korea the desirable choice for visitors or those looking for fun times? No. Most of the time, Koreans are their own worse enemy. Many people I know make it a point never to buy any Korean products on principle. Why? They do not want to support such a rabidly nationalistic, xenophobic and mercantilist economy. Koreans are so predatory and nationalistic. They have a closed economy and a zero-sum attitude to trade. Protectionism in the early stages of an economy is not unreasonable. Dealing with Koreans is like dealing with bright adolescents. They're full of energy and want to do everything yesterday. But they throw tantrums and are prone to dangerous and erratic behavior if their whims are not indulged. In most countries, intellectuals become universal. You learn that great ideas and values have no national boundaries. What is profoundly disturbing is that Korean intellectuals become more xenophobic and nationalistic, and perpetuate the idea that all of Korea's problems are the result of willfulness by foreigners. This is the mark of a scoundrel. Korean society makes a sharp distinction between an individual's inner circle of family, friends and business colleagues, and outsiders. Members of the inner circle must always be treated with absolute respect and courtesy, while strangers are treated with indifference. Korean society is not egalitarian: a person's status is strictly defined in relation to others. How do foreigners and or the US military fit into this scheme? The simple answer is they don't. Koreans however do want your money but once they get it, you are useless to them. Look at the Japanese that visit Korea. Many Koreans hate the Japanese, but to their faces, they welcome them because they want their money. Behind their backs, many Koreans are backstabbers.
    I'm not anti Korea nor am I flaming them. They do a great job of that themselves.
    This is not meant to sound sexism...but the women are great...it's the Korean men that ruin everything.

[/ QUOTE ]Did I just read a Yale Doctorial thesis? Treat yourself everyonce in a while and tear up some Korean soil and rock! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I got my last one from the wreckers for $100cdn
    impco425 system

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

[ QUOTE ]
    This is not meant to sound sexism...but the women are great

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I know what I'd be doing as a response.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif