Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parker Trip Detail *** Updated 11/2/06***

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by 4xcrazy, Oct 17, 2006.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Just curious about some of the details on this, i might try to attend this this year. I had a pretty good time up at Moab (except for the rain) and thought about checkin' out the Parker run this year,,,,

what are the fine details, times when people are leaving, returning and whatnot,,,,would like to know so i can plan something with the workplace...:D

2. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

x2 That is if you guys dont mind a newb wheelin with you guys!

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

TJ,

Great post, I changed the name and made it a sticky, since you are the one who started it, it needs to be up top as it's getting to be that time again.

Thanks for the reminder!!!

Parker Details:

Usually we leave Phoenix on Wednesday night and head to Parker, we camp wed thru sun, and head home on Sunday afternoon.

We (the Finellis) always rotiserise a overlarge turkey for thanksgiving on thursday morning and eat thrusday afternoon/night.

We wheel every day, except Sunday, and sometimes hit an early trail on Sunday.

We will be staying at the River Island Campsite in Parker it's the last one on 95 heading out of town. This year they will have electric and water hookups and showers and bathrooms.
    Update: Forgot to add, camping at River Island is now 23.00 a night, due to the recent addition of electric at each site. Historically this site has not been very busy during the holidays, but with the addition of electric at this campgrounds, there is no baseline as to how full this campsite will be. All that are camping with tents, it should not be a huge issue, as normally you can camp behind the pull in site. Ones that want spots, will have to work out with thoese attending early to pay for and reserve a site, we will have plenty of vehicle to pull into spots. Just remember that once we pull into a spot that spot will have to pay for the spot from that point on. I don't have any clue how fast these spots will get taken up this time. I spoke with the Campgrounds ranger last week when I was in Parker and he told me the "word has not gotten out yet this year" that this campground has electric, as the snowbirds usually gobble up these sites quickly. He thinks it will be not too crowded as normal. He remembers us from the last years and said we should be ok at least this year. There is no reservations allowed at this site, first come first serve.

Another Update:

Parking for other rigs and thoes camping. Matt called today and left me a voicemail regarding this issue.

Here is how I see it, and how we have worked it in the past. That does not mean it is the truth and it's going to work this year.

Historically, the guys pulling trailers/campers, have paid for the camping sites, spots, and set up camp with the trailers, it's usually on the south portion of the campsite. We disconnect the trailers and pull the tow rigs in front of the campers and pull our wheeling rigs right next to our campers/trailers. It's a little tight, but it has worked. Everyone needs to pay for a camping spot, if you are sleeping there you have to pay tent or trailer. I don't remember if the tent camping is cheaper or not. In the past the people camping in tents just camp behind the pull in trailer spots as there is quite a bit of room for tent camping. In the past this has not been a problem. They pay for a spot and just park in front of the sites we are camping in with trailers. Never been a huge problem. Now this year, I don't know how it's going to work. There is tow rig/trailer parking over by the boat ramp, that we have parked our junk at in the past. They never seem to have a huge issue with this. If as many people as are saying are going to show up this year as posted on this post. There is no question it's going to get a little crowded. Not to be a wise guy, but it's going to be first come first serve at this campsite. I really don't think its going to be a huge problem, but its going to be tight this year if everyone shows up.

Parker is the ultimate wheeling for AZ. The weather is usually very nice and nightime temps get a little chilly, perfect for camping.

The list is growing this year for people showing up, here is who we know are going to attend this year so far based on talking with them.

DJ & Family
    Mikey & wife
    Matt & wife
    Harley & girlfriend
    Scott Henry
    Marv & Kole
    Finelli Family
    Pauly & wife no confirmation on wife
    Fred and crew
    Eric/Jeepamigo
    Maybe Allen, New guy we met last weekend
    Kurt and Rachael
    Kyle
    Cris & wife friend of Matts
    Rhinopkc no wife
    Ruben & family
    Shaun & possible Nate
    Kyle

Possibles:
    TJ

So far this is all I can remember off the top of my head.

The wheeling is awesome, some trails are pretty tight, and some are not so tight, but overall it's a blast. We usually leave the trail picking until the morning we are leaving. It all depends on who shows up.

We have even been on the CA side working over the sand dune once.

Something for everyone in Parker!

All are welcome to attend.

OH and don't forget YEEE HAAAA, HEEE HAAAA:haha: :haha: . Only thoese who have attended will understand this statement!

Updates:

I updated the attending list.

Second:
    Debbie and I normally purchase the largest Turkey we can and prep and rotiserise it during the morning on Thrusday, for eats on Thrusday afternoon. The biggest one we can usually roast on the BBQ is about 30 to 35 lbs. After that it does not fit on the grill anymore.

Please update your post as to when you will be showing up and if you are going to be attending the festive eats on Thursday. If you have already posted you arrival time, no problem, I just want to make sure that there is enought food for everyone to consume.

The only thing we ask is that someone bring at least 2 pumpkin pies, some stove top stuffings, and some vegies, green beans etc. and what ever else you like for the food. Thanksgiving would just not be the same without pie and stuffings. I have no problem preparing it all, but just wont remember to buy it all at the grocery store with everything else going on.

For all that have not attending this event before, this is a total blast, and the food is actually pretty good, for some reason it even tastes better in Parker camping and wheeling.

Update 11/02/06:
    Updated the who's going to be there list. Other notes, Pauly is going to get us a few more fire/washing machine barrels, the only way you can have fires in this area is in fire pits/barrels that are raised 10" off the ground. Currenlty we only have one, so Paul is hooking us up, Marv and I will be making some stands for them in the next week or so. I am going to bring a bunch of 2x4 that are leftover from the pallets we make at work. This should be the firewood of choice at the campgrounds as it's easy to start and easy to carry out there. Marv is going to tote some out on his trailer. Debbie is 50/50 on attending this trip, she is thinking she may stay home and hang out with friends. If this happens it's going to be Joey and myself for the week. One way or another it's OK w/ me. I've done this trip with kids only before.

Let's talk about camping, it's sure looks like we are going to have some major people attending this year. I am heading to Lake Havasu on Monday to look at a job we are doing up there, and I have to drive right past the campgrounds to get there and back. I am going to drop in and talk with the park ranger again, and do some double checking on camping. In the past we have never had this many people showing up to camp, and it's going to be tight for sure if everyone that is saying is coming comes. I want to make it very clear to everyone reading this post and that is attending, Camping spots are on a first come first serve basis period. Don't expect the best spot if you show up on Saturday. The earlier you get there the better. I expect that EVERYONE THAT IS CAMPING , IN A TENT OR IN A TRAILER THAT YOU PAY FOR CAMPING, TENT CAMPING IS CHEAP, DON'T CHEAT THE PARK OUT OF CAMPING FEES, IT'S NOT WORTH THE BAD NAME IT WILL GIVE US. IF YOU SENT A NIGHT IN THE CAMPGROUNDS PAY FOR THE NIGHT. IF YOU PARK A CAR AT THE CAMPGROUNDS IT'S CONSIDERED CAMPING, DON'T GIVE US A BAD NAME BY SCREWING AROUND WITH CAMPING FEES, THEY TAKE CASH AND USE TO TAKE A CHECK FOR CAMPING, EXPECT TO PAY CASH. I will confirm how much the camping is when I am there next week. Let's talk about food, I have decided that I am bringing ONE large turkey to rotiserise on the BBQ, it's normally takes about 6 hours to cook. I am bringing food for my family to eat, stuffing, vegie, and gravy. I have requested a 30lb turkey from Albertsons this year, as historically they are around 20lbs. I am going to cook this turkey only. I don't know how may people are going to show up, so all I can say is it's first come first serve. I don't want to be a party pooper, but with the amount of people showing up, I just don't know how many this bird will serve. Last year there seemed to be plenty of leftovers, but I don't want to stress over who is getting fed and if there is enough. I am all about feeding the masses, but I'm not going to spend the whole day screwing around with food. Can't wait to see everyone here, this trip is going to be one for the scrapbook.

One other thing I want to address: Kids/campfires/drinking. I'm all about the having fun thing, but let's keep in mind we are going to have a truckload of kids on this trip, I think Jody is going to have her kids, Marv is going to have Kole, Allen is going to have his kids, and Ruben with his, I'm going to have at least Joey, DJ & Heidi are going to have theres, so forth etc... Let's just all understand that this is a fun time for everyone, and keep is somewhat safe until the kids hit the sack in the evenings.

If you don't like this rule, then DON'T SHOW UP, or camp somewhere else, this is not Butcher Jones/Sycamore Creek. I'm not saying we can't have fun but just remember there are going to be lot's of kids around and safety should come first while they are around.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  4. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

Ill be draggin Erics jeep out there.. So I guess that means count me in as a "for sure":woot:

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Add my buddy cris and his wife (ford truggy). Harley is bringing the GF also.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

For the record , I am planning going to go Friday night after work . Details to work out beforehand .

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Leaving Wed afternoon (If I ever get this POS Doosh running), leaving Sunday by noon.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Me, cris, and harley are leaving thursday after dinner (getting to parker around 8-9 or so as usual). I am towing, harley is towing, cris is driving and the girls are riding with cris's wife.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't think i can take off that many days so soon after the Moab trip, it's rough as it is now to make up the hours i lost from THAT trip, and catch up on some bills:doah: BUT, i may be able to at least take off Friday, and do the whole weekend thing, maybe leave Thursday afternoon, after work or whatever,,,

guess it depends on who else could do this type of deal,,:D

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Like Matt said, We should be leaving Thursday night after Dinner w/families, and I am bringing my GF along this year. I am looking forward to the trip for sure. Looks like we are going to have a great turnout this year. I can't wait to get some seat time back in and have another run at some of the Parker trails now that I am pro-sheetmetal distruction. :D

Like I always say Parker is a great time and it will be fun. Parker has good trails especially if you don't care about the body. There are trails for the body concious but as always with rockcrawling the possibility for heavy damage is there. As always be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Parker is only 4 hours away going slow but it can be a hell of a long trip if you not prepared.

Harley

11. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I may be able to talk my wife into letting me haul ass back from Turkey Day festivities with the Cali relatives to try and make some of this. Not sure if I'll camp or sleep at home. It'll be easier to talk the wife into it if I tell her I'll sleep at home, but I love camping!:D

12. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I will have to double check but I might be on vacation while you guys are out. It's up in the air if I can bring my ride out (hopefully getting regeared). Worst case I can meet you guys for beer like I did the previous year.

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Holy smokes...! Too many people.... I'm not goin'...!

:D :eek:

Just kiddin'....!

Parker is gonna be a SMOKIN' time....! All noobs are welcome. Just be warned - Parker trails have been known to take thier toll on sheet metal. Proceed at your own risk if you are a "Proud member of the Sheetmetal Gang".... (not that there's anything wrong w/ that..)

As fo' me.... Kole (my son) and I are all over it. Squirrel power all weekend, baby...!

Marv

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As of this morning , Michelle is down to go . I have a vacation day left , will see about leaving leaving with TJ , but won't know .

I do know I have a dent in every corner of the Blazer , all I need to do is be able to roll all the windows up :wink1:

15. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I'm more worried about the fact that I still don't have a skidplate than I am about a few dents.

16. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about it.... For some reason, it seems that I see more "skidding" on the sides there.... :haha:

Marv

17. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

As long as it still seals in the air conditioning, I'm good!:waytogo: My daughter doesn't roll in anything without AC.

18. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Lets not forget there isn't a parker veteran that hasn't towed or isn't going to tow.

19. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Mine still work. I drove it to parker with doors last year in truggy form.

20. FWP

FWP CRS

Marv can bring the TUNA:haha: :haha:

Gotcha covered on the pies.:D