Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parkin' It

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkulzNBonz, Apr 11, 2002.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Parkin\' It

I've finally made the decision to park my K5 and tear into it. I just received my ORD Steering Box brace and was looking into mounting it when I said "Self, you need to park this (explicative!) and do it right!" The truck is so close to stock it's pathetic, and before I hurt it, I am going to make it better. Here's a list, let me know what you think.
    #1: new motor, tranny, & tc mounts
    #2: rebuild carb
    #3: fab bumpers & skids (I've got a buttload of steel (3"x3"x1/4") from work for free!!!!)
    #4: trim fenders (to get rid of trail damage from Disney!)
    #5: regear to 4.56 (either truss a 10 bolt, or get a 14 bolt and convert to six lug, keep the D44)
    #6: lift 5", slap on 36" tires (brand TBD at a later date)
    #7: headers and exhaust
    I have got a three month window to complete all of this (Moab!!). I undoubtedly will be asking a lot of questions to make this go together. Any and all comments, ideas, etc. are welcome. Wish me luck!

John

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Re: Parkin\' It

Hope you have all the parts gathered up before you start. I did the same thing as you with just a few mods lined up. 2 years later I was finally finished. But good luck to you!!!

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Good luck John...If you have so much $$$ why don't you kick down a few bills to me.. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Money, what's that? I thought I said "all donations welcome" /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Actually, most of this is going to be done through "creative engineering"/forums/images/icons/wink.gif. My biggest costs will be the axle gears and tires. I have my heart set on Goodyear MT/R's, but they's kinda 'spensive, so I'll end up w/ what I can afford/forums/images/icons/frown.gif. Thank God I have acquired fabrication experience, or this project would never get off the ground!

John

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As far as headers go, I highly recomened "HOOKER" competition instead of thier super comp. You may want to consitter thermal barrier coated headers. It cost alittle more, but "HOOKER" Garrenties them for life not to rust out. I've always felt that "HOOKER" makes the best headers on the market. I usely order mine through "JEG'S" 1-800-345-4545. They do have them for 4x4 Blazer's.