Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking brake adjustment!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Feb 12, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Vehicle: 1995 C1500

At 191,000+ miles it developed an axle seal leak. So I decide it's time to replace the factory brake shoes and drums also. After I put it all back together the brakes really sucked. I adjusted the little screw things some and then they worked ok. After just a short time, the parking brake pedal would just go to the floor and not engage the parking brake. I adjusted the cable and it worked so-so for about 2 weeks... now it does hardly anything again. What am I doing wrong?

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

push the pbrake about 1/4 the way down 4 or 5 clicks. Jack wheel up and tighten the adjuster till its hard to turn the wheel by hand. repete for otherside. It worked on my 14bolt.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Tighten the adjuster on the cable or the one inside the drum?

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

on the cable, you can not adjust the PB from inside the drum

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

6. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

Ive always adjusted my e-brake with the adjuster in the drum. It also sets up your rear brakes at the same time. Jack up the rear, spin the tire while turning the adjuster untill it starts dragging. Do the same for the other side. Then I get in the truck and push the e-brake cable on and off a few times. Climb back under readjust because the brakes will not be as tight. do this a few times untill your e-brake pedal is adjusted for a couple of clicks. Just dont go to tight or it can be a pain in the ass to back them off. If you do so, you can push the arm off the adjuster with one screwdriver and back the other off with another.