Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking Brake Adjustment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Jan 25, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, my e-brake has never worked very well, so I decided to try and adjust it. Well, of course, the Chilton's manual I have shows a completely different setup than what is under my Blazer! Basically I have the following setup (and I am hoping that others here do also!): The main cable comes from the parking brake pedal in the cab. It goes all the way back, through the "adjuster" mechanism (but it doesn't stop there, just goes through it), and back to the left rear drum brake. At the "adjuster", the cable for the right rear drum starts and goes to that drum. Ok, so when I turned the adjuster mechanism, ONLY the right rear brake locked up! The left drum does not increase in drag at all... so, is it that my cable is too far stretched? The picture in the book shows a system that the cable from the e-brake pedal goes to the adjuster, then it splits there into two cables, one left and one right. I don't have this...

My friend suggested that I cut the cable between the adjuster and the e-brake pedal and use a turnbuckle setup, that way I could adjust the cable from there, and it would thereby adjust both the left and right drums. There is no adjustment on the pedal, that is why he suggested this...can anyone tell me what to do??

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Keith, without crawling under my K5 which isn't here, I think the cable is as you describe..an adjuster aways back, that splits off to the one side, but solid cable to the other. If I were you, I would pull the wheel/drum off, and back up the star adjuster on the one side giving you problems. Actually I'd do both sides evenly. I did mine so that the drum just fit on with no interference. Driving backwards and hitting the brakes is supposed to adjust those, but I set mine up manually, so I knew that it worked right. They work great now...no resistance until the pedal is halfway down, then they are solidly locked.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that is what we checked first. The brakes are brand new, and they are adjusted perfectly. The adjusters never worked on my old brakes (rust and mud will do that), but these new ones work great. So I am pretty sure I can rule that out...but thanks for the suggestion.

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The cable from the pedal to the adjuster should end there. A cross over cable lays in a "cradle" there and it should go over to the frame on the right side of your vehicle and down the left side of your vehicle. There are two stand offs (one on each side) that directs the cable back to your rear drums. The stand offs are actually about 5/16" steel rod that is bent to hook in your frame rail and looped at the other end as a guide for the cable. There is a swedged piece at the end of this cable that goes into a coupler that hooks up to a shielded cable that goes to your rear drums that actuates your rear brakes when the parking brake is set. Make sure that some one hasn't crimped the "cradle". If they have, only the left side will actuate. The cable should pull freely through this. There should be two tabs that hang down that your rear cable goes through and has a clip the holds it in place. Now, if you grab the cable at the coupler (do one side then the other) you should be able to see if the caable in the shielded portion is moving. If it's not moving (there should be just a small amount of play) remove the drum and disconnect the cable from the brake shoe. Then there are a couple of push tabs that when pushed, will free the cable from the backing plate. These cables get rusty (lack of lubrication) and need a good dose of a liquid penetrant to free them up. Spray a little down the cable then work them back and forth a couple of times. Once they get free, put it back together (wipe off any excess). Also, the "cradle" needs a little dab of grease now and then to keep the cable sliding through it. Good luck.

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have five photos of my parking brake cable set up (factory) that I took for a fellow CK5er. Let me know if you want them and I'll e-mail 'em to you. ('73K5)

[​IMG]