Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking brake cable routing question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

The parking brake cable is running underneath the rear driveshaft on my 73 Jimmy. I am pretty sure it was like this when I bought it since when the driveshaft dropped a few weeks ago, it fell on the cable. So unless it bounced back up onto the cable, it's been like that since the PO put the lift on.

But I was looking at it last nite when I put the driveshaft back in and it pulls tight across the bottom of the shaft when I press down the parking brake pedal. This set up doesn't seem right to me. Should it run above the driveshaft?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nope it isn't right.
    Wehre the hard cables from the wheels mount to the frame there should be a goofy looking peice that connects to aloop of cable. The loop of cable has a couple metal guides that loops it around the frame The closes the cable comes to being under the drive shaft is where it goes under the transfer case.
    Here is a picture where you can see the routing somewhat on my 75.
    [​IMG]

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Interesting. Mine certainly doesn't look like that. At first glance, I'm missing at least the guide in the far corner of the picture, possibly the next one back toward the wheels too. That also explains why it's so loose. I wonder if the PO just undid those couple connections to accomodate the lift.

So I guess I should lengthen the cable then? Any tips on that? I know there was info when I did a search so I can probably find it in there. I'll have to check if those guides are still there too.

Come to think of it, my 74 is the same as your pic b/c I had to move the cable to get the case down.

Thanks!!