Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking Brake Cables

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cleszkie, Feb 11, 2003.

1. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

I just installed a 14 bolt free-floating axle in the rear of my 72 K5 (10.5" ring gear). Was able to hook everthing up except for the parking brake cables, which were way too short (about a foot). I run a 6 inch suspension lift, so that doesn't help matters. Has anyone else encountered this, and are there cables out there that I can install to make the brake work? I know that there are things out there like line locks and driveline e-brakes, but I'm looking to maintain the function of the old foot operated system. TIA.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

14FF? In which K5? Did you find a good deal on some 3.73's or 4.10's so it will tow the jeep better?

3. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

Dan-

I installed the lift (springs all the way around) and 14ff in the ochre yellow 72 that you've seen. My 69 K5 has been ignored lately! Put a 3/4 ton 44 up front. Running 4.10 gears. Stayed with the 8-lug pattern with old-school 16.5 inch steel rims and small vintage poverty hub caps. Bought some used 35" BFG M/Ts to round out the package. Looks 200% better, rides better, and is now a much more capable rig in general. Still won't be seeing any difficult trails (thats what the J**p is for), but it will get me farther into the desert, and yes, it definitely has more towing power even with the larger tires. How is your truck faring? Have you gotten that tranny leak taken care of? Haven't seen you around for a while.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I need to start making it to some BigDawg meatings /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but I don't think I'll have time till the summer.

The tranny leak turned into a full rebuild...of course I couldn't let someone else work on one of my trucks so I took a stab at it. I found out that I had a cracked flexplate as well...lots of new parts. I have the tranny done except for the valve body still needs to be bolted back on. I'm hoping to get it running again in a month or 2.

Any pics of the K5 with all the new toys?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Which cables were too sort?..the 14ff ones?
    Will the 12B cables fit the 14ff?
    I have seen some people use the stock 10B cables on newer k5's on the 14ff's

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

This doesn't help you much but I would sure take the old cable off your hands, you kow, just to get it out of your way, mine went KA_POP!!!

John

7. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

Chevyracing-

I don't want to get rid of my short cables just yet. I may have to do some creative grafting. Sounds like you have the same problem if you've already over-stretched your cables.

Dan-

Its the stock 14ff cables that are too short. The 12 bolt cables worked with the lift, but just barely. The two are not interchangeable. They have different type flanges where they attach to the backing plates.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Measure your cable and go to the JY and see if there are some different 14BFF cables that are longer. Check the vans too. If not you may need to move the brackets closer on the frame.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i hear that under some 85 or 86 and newer the cables are longer

good luck

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If it helps my 1986 K-5 uses two different length cables . The passenger side comes over to the driver side. Maybe you could use the long side to help out ???? The cables from GM were only about $30.00 each.

11. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Why go through the hassle of finding something that's a ghost fit? Just measure up your cables, and if you know that they're a given amount short, contact Control Cables with the dimensions and they'll fab up the proper cable.