Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking Brake idea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Let's say you have a 208 or 241 T-case with a rear slip yoke and a rear disc conversion without parking brake levers. Transfer-case mounted brakes are a neat idea, but you can't use them with a slip yoke. How about mounting it to the front output yoke? Then when you park, you set the brake and then pull the shifter to 4H (or Hi Lock if you have a slip-yoke 203). If you are full-time or have the hubs locked, this gives you braking with all four wheels.

The drawback is that you rely on the chain to hold the vehicle in place. Fortunately, it has the gear reduction of the differential on it's side. If you break something in the rear driveline you still have the front driveline holding if the hubs are locked. This is the same situation as a rear ouput mounted brake.

I do have another question about driveline brakes in general. They seem safest with a spool. Isn't is possible that if you parked with almost no traction under one rear wheel that it could spin backwards while the vehicle rolls forward? Would a Detroit allow the same thing? The differential is actually driving the axles backwards since the driveline is resisting the forward movement, so a backwards spinning wheel is overunning the differential and keeping it unlocked?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It would be a tight fit. I think the other issue would be the same as if you left it in park or in gear. Most likely no trouble at all.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd say physical room for the driveline brake would be the big hurdle...
    Putting the T-case into a 4WD position with a driveline brake on either side of the T-case will give you a 4 wheel E-brake.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Isn't is possible that if you parked with almost no traction under one rear wheel that it could spin backwards while the vehicle rolls forward?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think that would only be possible with an open diff and the right side tire almost of the ground in a low traction environment. Anyone that would park a vehicle in a place like that and expect a parking brake to keep it there is a fool./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene