Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking Brake is bad!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 4, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My parking brake doenst work, any idea how to tighten it or fix it?? Thanks

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

No one knows??

TTT

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

3. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

get the cable tightened is all. easy to fix. mine was bad. it would press the pedal to the floor. loose cable is all. they stretch over time. don't rely on the parking gear always.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

whats a "parking brake" is it that extra foot pedal thats real small? HA!

5. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I once drove my Grandpa's '82 1-ton Ford (sorry guys, it's an awesome truck, fully restored) about 15 miles with the parking brake on, didn't even notice because the gears are so low, until I smelled it! After that I just parked it in gear, but I don't drive in the city that much so maybe that's different.

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Pop your drums off and see if the cable came loose from the levers - mine is forever doing that, especially on the right side.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sometimes the parking brake not holding is an indication that the rear brakes are worn or out of adjustment. Before adjusting the cable for the parking brake make sure the self adjusters are free and tighten up the the shoes. If you get into mud the shoes will wear faster than the adjuster can keep up. About every 2 rides I have to manualy adjust up my brakes for that very reason.
    Also the bracket under the driverside door likes catching rocks and getting bent and that will make the parking brake work poor.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have manual trany, so i really need to get the parking brake working, it works good on lvl ground but not so good on hills and stuff, im gunna get it tightneed this weekend thogh.

9. ben794X4

ben794X4 Registered Member

I had a manual 87 with the same problem now I have a 79 that also has this problem. I figured it was jut a chevy thing because it is common to all the chevys I know. Thanks for the tips about thightening the cable.

Subvert the accepted paradigm.