Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

parking brake light

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5gaff91, Apr 19, 2000.

1. k5gaff91

k5gaff91 Newbie

i am new to this board so i would like to start by greeting all the fellow k5 fans out there. also to ask for your help. i have a 91 that purchased 2 years ago it just turned 88k miles. recently after releasing the parking brake the dash parking brake warning light remained on...although the brake is released.i have checked and rechecked everything i can think of, replaced the switch under the dash even unpluged it but still the that red light is staring me down every time i drive. it dives fine and the brakes seem fine but that light sure is annoying, any help would greatly appreciated

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Our fleet at work has lots of 89-94 Chevs that do the same thing. Our mechanics have checked them out time and again, and finally gave up. I think I heard grumblings about a faulty sensor or something. The only problem is that the light is supposed to be a warning light as well, so just be aware of how you rig is braking. I do have one solution: a pack of paperclips hides that light perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

You unplugged it and it's still on? Hmmmm......

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

You know I had the same problem on my 1990 chevy 2wd pickup. Did a whole brake job (drums and disks), and it did nothing to solve the light problem. Just kept unpluging the fuse over time and it quit eventually. Thats not really an answer but I definitely feel your pain.

BIGJ

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Gentlemen...are you forgetting that the light is also connected to the proportioning valve? As long as the piston in the valve stays in the middle,meaning both systems(front and rear) have fluid in them. If one system runs out of fluid from a leak or broke hose the piston blocks that side off and turns the light on. Sometimes when you bleed the brakes , it is enough to set it off. The Chiltons manual has a detailed explaination on how to reset it.

6. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I also agree with the proportioning valve theory . Unplug it and see if light goes out . If it does reset valve . If not it sounds like wiring .