Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking Brake Light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 19, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My parking brake light wont shut off! My friend and I bled the brakes and it worked but when i hit the brakes hard the lights come back on! Whats the deal!? Thanks.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Bleed them again. There is a switch in the proportiong valve if it see's to much variance in pressure from front ot rear it trips the light.

3. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

and make sure the prop valve is even plugged in, and may just be faulty, or, that the ebarke hookup is geeking too, sale light will come on if you are non-abs.

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i always wondered what that sensor was on my P.V on the brakes, now i know. yea my light stayed on for a very long time untill my friends dad wanted to take a ride with me around the block to see how my truck was, he was remeinissing his old 76 1\2 chevy stepside 4x4 with 38 gumbo swampers, but he said whats that little red light, and i said the parking brake wont stay up, so he said, lift the lever, pull the parking brake up and slide the lever back in, and sure anough it worked, no more dummy brake light, hope this helps somewhat. good luck. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. bear

bear Registered Member

I had the same problem, until I figured out that my parking brake release was not releasing all the way......now I stick my foot underneath the foot pedal and push it up. Give it a shot......it might work.........

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I've bleed them 2 or 3 times, tried the pulling the brake up and letting the lever down but it doesnt work... i dont know... what do i have to dow ith the Proportioning valve? thanks

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

How is the peddle feeling?
    Some times thos valves are cruded up. Try this. Bleed the oposite end you finshed on. If the valve is stuck getting pressue drop might pop it free.
    If that doesn't work there is a pressure gage you can screw into where the bleeders go and check pressure. Front should be a good bit more thatn rear. Never checked to see if they had one at Auto zone. Been thinking about buying one. Saw them on some race car parts site. Might have been www.stockcarproducts.com