Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking brake options other that caddy calipers for rear disc- line lock???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, May 13, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i want to run rear discs and not mess with the cad calipers. i have a 4speed/208. it would be nice if there was a t case caliper for the 208 to go along with high anlge cv. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

anyways, has anyone used a line lock? if so, how much of a pain is it to install?

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I would'nt trust a linelock for anything. Mico used to make a "brakelock" switch that did the same thing, held pressure on the brake's. Problem is, they bleed off, I've seen a couple of freind's hurt, and one killed from using them. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Line locks are cake to install...just cut and reflare brake line and install and bleed brakes. Some kits come with the pre bent line so there is no need to cut and flare line...Only problem is, if you use it as a parking brake, it will kill your calipers in much shorter order than normal use... You caliper seals aren't designed to hold that kinda pressure for extended periods of time...I am thinking about putting line locks on my Blazer, but mainly for wheeling and doing wicked burnouts../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am thinking about putting line locks on my Blazer, but mainly for wheeling and doing wicked burnouts..

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

a perfectly logical reason for this upgrade /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif burnouts are cool! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. fortcollinsram

Exactly, you must use line locks within there designed parameters...and you must still use caution...I mean, you wouldn't stand in front of a 500hp Chevelle that was roasting is Mickey Thompsons and was only being held in place with an electronic solinoid that is sustaining over 1500psi of brake pressure at the front calipers, would you?

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

that is why i would rather have the t case brake. probably more work and $$$ then locating some cad calipers though. don't know of any other options though. if i had an auto i just wouldn't worry about it. but its anoying with a stick not having an e brake.

7. fortcollinsram

nothing like big block power and and taking 15,000 miles of the tread life of perfectly good 37" MTR's right? Naw, I think they would be indispensible on the trial with a 4-speed, IMO...

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Re: Parking brake options other that caddy calipers for rear disc- line loc

You can use a hyd park brake for short term holding the truck in place, but I would not get under it or downhill from while doing so. The typical line-locks sold by Summit etc. require 12V power to maintain the lock. The Mico type locks use 12V power only to engage it, the line pressure holds it. Some of the Mico locks and the Jamar Park-Loc are manual engagement.

For a t-case park brake you really want a drum. A drum holds better when static than a disc can, unless the disc happens to look a lot like a clutch. The best drum design will have an external contracting band, not an internal expanding shoe design. That allows they to be more self cleaning.

BTW, it's rare to see brake line pressures exceed 1200 psi and most people only generate about 800 psi unless in panic mode.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have/use the Mico Lever Lock (no voltage required) www.mico.com
    I don't use it for a parking brake for the same reason someone already said #1 the calipers will bleed off the line pressure in time #2 pre-mature wear on the caliper seals.
    I did a test with my Lever Lock by blocking the tires with wood, set the lever lock on/locked pumped the brakes to fill the lines with pressure then let it sit over night. The next morning I went out and kicked the blocks out, my K5 did not roll. I released the lever lock and my K5 started rolling down the driveway. This was just a test of about 14hrs I would imagine that as the calper seals weeken the time will be shortened???
    Oh one more comment on line locks.
    If you get a line lock I recomend the Lever Lock because the button style(12v required) is on or off no inbetween. I like to ease off the brakes while letting the cluch out on steep hills and such with my lever lock. Make for smoother starts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good Luck