Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking brake question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by asterix, Apr 27, 2004.

1. asterix

asterix Registered Member

This may be a wild shot, but i need help with my 14 bolt. the person that had it before me added rear disk brakes. From what i remember he said that the calipers were out of a el-camino. does anyone knwo how to set up the parking brake, of if someone could stop by in broomfield and take a look I'd love it, and have a beer ready. I was thinking if it is not possible then to get one of the drive line disk locks. Any help would be great..

Brett

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you just need a parking brake and not an emergency brake then I'd consider electric line locks. I use mine all the time. I probably used them a dozen times last weekend alone. They sure do save wear and tear on the parking pawl. The longest I've ever had mine set was 20 minutes though. I don't know if they leak pressure or not.

Most people use ~76-80 ElDorado calipers.

Most states that require emergency brakes (as opposed to parking brakes) require the brake be outboard of the differential and not rely on the hydraulic braking system to actuate. That eliminates driveline brakes (before the differential) and line locks (uses the hydraulic system). In Michigan, they require parking brakes.

3. asterix

asterix Registered Member

yea i just need something when i'm on a hill that i can take the weight off the transmission when i'm wheeling.

I'll look up the info on these line locks

thanks
    Brett

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

cybersniper
    what did the pair of line locks run ya? it is something ive been tossing around. winching with 3 pedals and 2 feet gets old if i dont have anything to tie off to while winching someone out.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

$60 plus plumbing and fittings. They're rebuildable. The hard part is converting the 1/8NPT that the linelocks have for ports.

You can force fluid past them after you activate them. They seem to work pretty good. Usually I push the pedal down and activate them. A couple times Saturday I left it in gear when I did this because my exhaust was getting annoying.

When I tested my winch I pushed the pedal down hard, set the linelocks, and then pressed as hard as I could. Not so much as even a creak or groan when I dragged my truck with the winch a few weeks ago.

I figure you need at least 2,500psi-capable stuff to plumb them. I used some non-brake certified fittings which originally made me nervous but I'm over it now. Power assist is good for 1,600psi or so from what I've read here and I know I can push the pedal a lot harder than that. The linelocks are rated for 3,000psi.