Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking brake woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mtnman4x4, Jan 8, 2003.

1. mtnman4x4

mtnman4x4 Registered Member

Anybody have luck hooking up their parking brake cable after a 14 bolt F/F switch out?
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think most guys dump that stuff in the garbage. Might want to check your legal issues here. If I remember correctly somebody got a road side inspection and didn't pass for that reason. I was wondering if anybody ever tried to make a line lock work for an e brake. Don't know anything about them. Never seen one so maybe I'm way off here. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

lol my e brake cables are still wrapped around my axle tubes, as i havent figured it out yet. Carry a piece of wood with out and toss it under the tire whenever you park.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

ttt

I'd like to know if anyone has done this. I plan on swapping out my rear 10 bolt this summer for a 14 bolt FF. BUT, living in Wisconsin, I HAVE to have a parking brake. Is it a direct hook-up? What's different? Thanks.

5. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I have a '91 K5, '73 axles, and the parking brake is hooked up. I found the best info from putting together a bunch of past posts. I wish i would have saved it, but don't think i did. Esteban86k5 has a GREAT post out there somewhere. No parts were added, just modified the clamp that holds the two cables and something on the backing plate. I'll see if i can dig it up again...........

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I believe if you go with the same year axles it should be a straight forward deal.
    If you get the axles from a different year, I think there are 2 kinds, equal length and unequal on one side.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mtnman4x4

Thanks for the help. I'll check back posts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

my buddy, whos has a lowered 2wd, got rid of his cable operated parking brake. he installed a hydraulic system, line lock? maybe, it ties into the brake hose between the brake booster and the proportioning block, push on the brake, push in brake lock, it sets the brakes.. to release, you push the brakes and it pops out.. he has his mounted down by the bright switch... i have considered getting on, as my current ebrake cable is slowing rubbing a hole in my exhaust pipes..

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i saw in one of the 4wheel magazines in the past year [not sure which one] but they had a parking brake that attached to your rear driveshaft. im not sure how it works, i just remember seeing it.

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

The sandrail has a linelock for an emergency brake and it passed Michigan DOT's rules for getting a registration ten years ago. It also only has rear drum brakes and no fronts.

I have no emergency brake. The idiots that owned my truck before me lost all the bracketry under the truck and zip-tied them up. I priced a new set of cables since I'm sure all of them were junk and was scared of the price. I then took my parking brake cable out and the front cable. It's kind of nice to have extra foot room.

I plan on using a line lock with an adjustable proportioning valve someday.

11. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the links.

Looks like this "bolt in" 14 bolt FF will be a little more work/messing around then I thought. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

My 14FF came out of a '85 1 Ton CUCV. The e-brake cables hookup to my '90 Jimmy without any modifications. The 1 Ton axles e-brake cables are unequal in length and are intended to run down the driver's side frame.

14. mtnman4x4

I appreciate all the help. I can't seem to view Estebans post. Maybe it has something to do with my pop-up blocker. Will have to try and figure it out.
    I have thought about the hydraulic button and can get one from JC whitney for $28 + S/H, thats the best price I've found. However I'm afraid it will help me discover other brake problems that it is to cold to fix right now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    Paul
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif