Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

parking brake ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Feb 14, 2006.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

How do you hook up a parking brake on a 14BFF with drums that is on a 1990 K5?:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I dont know if you can see in these pics or not but this is how mine are on my 87 both come to the drivers side and then forward.

In this pic you can see where they connect to the frame.
    [​IMG]

And in this one you can see where the cables come across on the axle and connect to the frame.
    [​IMG]

After the bracket on the frame is another "floating" bracket that connects the cables together. The drivers side locks to the bracket and the passenger side has a threaded rod that you tighten to adjust the pedal. Then the drivers cable connects to the Ebrake pedal cable so when the pedal is pushed both cables get pulled.

Ira

3. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

I just did mine this weekend. I got my idea off here in an old post and it worked great. On the 14bolt the cable is clamped together at the packing plate with two brackets. Remove the 14bolt cable from the brackets. On the inner bracket you have to make a small notch just big enough to get your cable through. On the outer bracket you have to bend the crimp open to remove the old cable. On your cable on your truck already there is a clip crimped around the cable to snap into your backing plate, carefully grind it off so as not to damage the cable. Now you can pull the spring on the end of the cable back, put the inner bracket off the 14bolt on. Hook up your cable to the e-brake arm. On the outer bracket off the 14bolt you can fit it around your cable and bolt it up. This is the piece that you would have opened up the crimp originally to remove the old 14bolt cable. Repeat for the other side. I found that my cable on the drivers side seemed a bit short to reach the e-brake arm so I just cut away a little bit of the hard casing to allow the cable to grow a bit. So far its been fine. Beuaty of this is it cost nothing more than some time and maybe 2 new seals if the rear end is already installed. Whenever I pull the drums off I like to put new seals on incase they get nicked or damaged and cause a leak. Hope this helps