Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking Brake????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Oct 10, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

For those of you that have looked at my questions before here is another dumb one. Can I get rid of my parking brake or will it affect the function of my drums in the back. I want to make my rig as simple as possible so everything i can get rid of is better!! It is a 81 K10 Sub 4x4 with a 12bolt in the rear. I was just going to pull out all the stuff in the drum out and get rid of the cables connecting to it.
    And to anyone that has answered any of my questions thank you. I am new at this so everything has been a big help.:D

2. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

All the e-brake cable does is pull on a lever in the drum assemblies. There are two cables strung like a loop with return springs built in. Really simple. I don't think you should remove them. When they are in good shape they are simple and work well. I replaced both cables when I did my last brake job and my truck will stay in place on a pretty steep hill. Of course my stuff is properly adjusted, too.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree I got a cop a couple years ago who went over my blazer with a fine tooth comb gave me about 8 fix it tickets. One was for not having an emergancy brake. Of course I only fixed one thing cause in Idaho all you have to do is take a picture to them to prove you fixed it.

Anyway I still don't have one but wish I did. And yes the brakes function just fine