Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking K5 for long periods of time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Sep 16, 2002.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I'm leaving for school friday and there's no parking for freshman so the K5 has to stay at home. Mom and dad said I could cram in in the little part of the garage, so it will at least be inside. However it only clears by 1" on each side with the mirrors folded in, so it won't get driven until I'm back for Thanksgiving break or maybe even Christmas since it is such a pain to get in and out.

I'm wondering if there's anything I should do before I park it? Should the tank be full or empty? Tire pressure? Disconnect battery? Or am I worrying too much?

I hate leaving the gf and K5 at home, but I got to my edjumacation on! Anyways...later and thanks for the help!

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

personally I wouldn't leave the tank empty...that just gives rust a chance to form and then when you refill and run it you suck up all kinds of crap. I'd put 4 jackstands under the truck two on each axle. Just enought to keep the tires off the ground from dry rotting etc. Armorall all of you quality stuff. Maybe throw a few christmas trees inside to keep it smelling good. I'd disconnect the battery as well.
    You can never worry too much about a big investment.

3. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Good question.
    I'm leaving for the other side of the world here shortly and I'll be gone for a long time. I'll be doing everything stated above. As well as putting some fuel additive inmy tanks that's designed for storage. The same stuff guys put in their bikes for the winter

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

In your case I'd do the same as mentioned above and then most of your maintainence will be when you get back...cycling the engine again, depending on how long maybe replacing dried out gaskets, rebuilding carb etc. All depends on how long you are gone. Engine's in general do best when run often...not running them only gives them a chance to gum up....Worst case maybe see if someone can atleast start it up for ya once a week even once every two weeks. IMHO something is better than sitting... I've heard of the internals of an engine rusting from sitting long enough where all the oil eventually seaps down into the pan and things are just no longer lubricated.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If your folks wouldn't mind starting it up once a week or so, I think that'd be a good idea. Be better if someone could drive it around every sunday for ya.

6. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

in the marine industry on the east coast we also spray the entire engine with marvel /forums/images/icons/wink.gif mystery oil or crc silicone spray keep the engine and everything under hood protected?????

7. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Is this something folks like us who live with snow and the like should do to our engine even if it isn't sitting? Sorry if it's a redundant question, but I'm just learning.