Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking lot vehicle damage...ignore the other thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 16, 2005.

?

Have you ever damaged a parked vehicle? What did you do?

1. Left it without leaving a note and never looked back

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Left the owner a note

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. Left the country

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I park in a pretty packed train station every day. By packed, I mean there are days I will miss several city-bound trains because I'm waiting for surburb-bound trains to bring home overnighters who will free up some parking space.

Even though it's extremely poorly managed space, I've never had visible damage that I can recall...until today.
    I noticed jagged pieces of my front drivers side marker lens had evaporated, and scrape marks had appeared on the fender and top deck of the bumper.

I'm thinking it happened yesterday, I parked next to a larger dark vehicle that would be high enough to hit there as he backed out and turned, but I didn't find any debris around there.

I walked around a little in the area I parked the day before, but my memory of something as important as where I parked last week is failing me...so I guess I'll have to scour the lot to find my lens, or pieces of it.

This was our old family car that I took for commuting when we got the minivan. I had planned to sell it, and previously, the body was perfect with the paint in the beginning stages of fading. Dumb damage like this affects the psychology of the buyer and could kill the sale.

Should I just eat this, buy a lens, and forget it? The lens is probably only $20. Or, should I try to find the location, and look for a vehicle with matching scrapes?
    This station is in a very affluent area, and most of the cars there are brand new, or at least have perfect body's, very few have dings and dents, so if I spent the time, I could probably find the perp.
    If I pursue it and find them, should I leave a note/reciept on the car with a photo of the lens damage? I'm wondering if I should even do a police report, I can't rememeber if I have collision on this car (point really being, is it worth just getting documented).

On a side curiousity note, have you ever hit a parked car, done damage and left it?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would just fix it and forget it. Every time I go to the city, I see rather new vehicles with dings and dents. It's just basically how it is, living in the city.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Years ago, a neighbor backed into a 85 Monte Carlo I had. I didn't even notice anything till her insurence adjuster knocked on my door. They wrote me a check for just over $400.00 and I pulled the bumper out myself via chain and a tree. A few little scratches didn't bother me, and a extra $400.00 was a nice keg party with BBQ for myself and about 25 friends. :grin: But it is nice when people take responcabilty for thier screw ups. You don't see that alot anymore.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well i wouldent expect the ajuster to come see you cances are they dident even know they did it.

and if you find them and call the cops the will only tell you to have both of you come down to the station and fill out the report they won;t care.

see if you can get a lens at a yard, and buff the paint a bit to hid the scrach, then park in the middle of two spots next time!! lol

or just bring your truck, if you find him park on top of his car
    :d

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ratch, I got one word for Ya.........................U-Haul. If I were You I would be getting their biggest truck and packing that sumbitch untill the springs buckled and I'd be hitting the dusty trail. **** that city life bull****. How much of Your life have You wasted in a parking lot or a train station that could have been spent at home with the family.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

He's got a point here Ratch, plus I liked the way he used the word "sumbitch", that theres what happens when ya'll move away from the big city, next year we will be home schooling our son and I will never have to go to that ****ing hole ever again...Did I mention I hate people...:whistle:

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

parking lot damage

Find the matching offenders scrape marks,,,,,, donkey kick his quarter panel and walk away smiling and whistling,,,,,:whistle:

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Oh man, I can't begin too tell you how much I agree with that, but I also hate small town / country living, I prefer the city. I'm so confuced sometimes, LOL. :dunno:

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd just buy a new lens and move on. Life's too short to spend time on this IMO. :thumb:

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I had a new s-10 as a work commuter that is in a fenced lot at work that got lots of dents, dings etc... This could happen anywhere. If i knew the person i would say something but the police unless the person will admit or you can prove will do nothing. That is why my wife drives something she cares for and i drive a primer junker. I don't want to worry. It bothered me bad with that happening to my new truck. My current k-10 cost less than any one week check i made this year so there is no worry anymore. I know with someone that drives a ways cannot do this but It works for me. If I hit someones car I would let them know but other people don't So I chose my option. We always use wifes car for long commutes. But because of this choice it makes it hard for me to go to far in my truck. If you find the car and just want to get back instead of vandalism just leave a note or piss on his car something to not get yourself in trouble.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

It's disheartening when you own something nice and it gets all jacked up. I finally gave up and keep the nice truck at home. I did buy a beater where no one will park within 10 feet of me.:D

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Come on Ratchy, the life awaits you, choose it

Choose Life

Choose A Career

Choose Spending Half Your Dressing Time Arming Yourself

Choose More Hair On Your Face Than Your Head

Choose Cheap Beer Black Eyes Baseball Bats Electrical Guitars At 3AM

Uh what.....

Yeah, **** NY!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't think I'll do anything with this. I drove around slightly last night when the lot was empty and didn't find any broken pieces where I normally park, and even if I did, I'm not going to drive around looking for the car with matching scrapes.

Overall, it's just irritating how inconsiderate someone could be. I wouldn't even think of not leaving a note or offering to repair/pay for the damage if I accidentally damaged a car like this. Kinda surprising to see the poll results and how often it seems to happen.

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I did parking lot damage on purpose one day. Karma prolly got me back but I was having a bad damn day and the Mercedes was parked so close to the driver door of my Bug I couldn't even squeeze between the vehicles. Just enough room to put a very nice door ding in the purty painted offender.

Made me feel better at the time but like I said I'm sure I got my comeuppance somewhere down the line.:crazy:

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

just get a lense and forget it, if your like me you'll just keep yourself pissed of looking for that car every day.i've backed into a few cars in my day. thats why i back into every parking spot now so i can see better. the last time was years ago when i had my 86 f 250 ,it had a 6in sus and 3in body. plus 40in tires and i was helping someone move a washer and dryer. we were lifting them over the fence and then carrying them to my truck after the dryer was loaded i figured i'd just back up to the fence. i walked behind my truck to make sure it was clear jumped in lit a smoke, put it in reverse looked in the door mirrors, the smashed the hood on a mustang. %$#&*@# SH!! she pulled in behind me. her husband nutted up a little till we to care of the ins. crap.:laugh: :laugh:

16. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

living in NYC area you should be used to that stuff. I had 2 cars hit and run while parked. Also I had a 1967 Triumph TR4 and it was a convertible someone would turn on my radio, wipers, lights every onceand a while as all were hot wired. Also had a tow truck steal my car, which is another story,

17. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I backed in to my neighbors car once. Didn't do a whole lot of damage (didn't hurt my truck at all) luckily it didn't hurt the paint so I paid for a paintless dent removal company to come out and fix it approx. $130. I hit his car pretty early and it took around 5 min. of knocking to get him to wake up, I probably could have drove off but kharma always comes back to bite you!