Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parking Lot Wheeling

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Depdog, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have not been here a lot in the last year or so, and my presence will be off and on for a while more. My wife has been sick for the past 3 years so I have had to step away from wheeling for the most part.

But...

Here is what I was doing on Saturday /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glenn

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

nice looking rig

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

kick azz pics! wb! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

hope things are getting better with your wife, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I have not been here a lot in the last year or so, and my presence will be off and on for a while more. My wife has been sick for the past 3 years so I have had to step away from wheeling for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought you'd given up on CK5, but didn't realize your wife was sick. Glad to see you back, and I'm hoping your wife gets better soon!

Truck looks good as always...was that an old Jag you squirshed? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Are those still 39.5" SS or did you step up to 42"? Hope your wife gets to feeling better.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what are the specs on your k5? Very nice!

Hope your wife gets better soon /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Depdog

Thanks for the replies you guys.

My wife has Hashimoto's Hypo Thyroid-ism. (mouthful aint it). Hashimoto's is an Auto-immune disease (it basically turned my wife's immune system against her thyroid and it's slowly destroying her thyroid). That is what caused the Hypo Thyroid-ism. Until you have someone suffering with this, you cant understand how much the thyroid controls the body. Metabolism, brain function (via hormones and other stuff). It is called the great imitator because it looks like so many different things. It has taken a load of the 3 years to diagnose the problem. We have finally started seeing a good endocrinologist (folks with diabetes and extreme obese people also see endocrinologist's).

She has not worked in 3 years and we are living off my salary (one of the big reasons for not wheeling). I have had to pursue another hobby (Electric R/C airplanes) as it is fun for me and my kids, very close to home ( I can fly in the front yard, or at any county park, or school, not to mention indoors at basketball courts etc. It also has brought money back into the household as I have started my own little hobby company www.foamtasticmodels.com and kit my own airplanes.

I do miss wheeling something awful and only go to a couple of club meetings a year to try and control the wheeling urge /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif There is no place local that is worth wheeling unless your into mud boggin (I am not /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Not sure on what year the Jag was, it was at the 4x4 Parts Swap Meet at the Marietta GA store. Keith and BigJBear were there. Thanks to Jim for taking most of the pics. I got stuck on the Jag right after the last pic. I was trying to crab across it because it was the same width as my wheelbase. Tire slipped, front one grabbed and it pulled me sideways. Next thing I know I am basically hi-centered on the sucker. Sitting on my skid plates, and rockers. Both front and rear drive-shafts were rubbing metal and it would rock from front tires to back tires while chirping and not getting enough traction. Finally had to get one of the guys that works there with his very well built and equipped XJ on 38's to strap to me. Between us we got me off it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

The tires are still 39.5's I will probably go to 40" radials for the next set. Cant go to 42's unless I get some more lift, then I wont have the gears for them. Running 4.56's right now. Don't have the $$ to do any gear swaps right now.

I will be around here from time to time. If you need me, or have any questions, feel free to email me at viveiros@bellsouth.net or info@foamtasticmodels.com Or PM me.

Thanks
    Glenn

8. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

Good luck to you and your family. I hope your wifes health turns around.

I have a 90ish buick park ave that I want to hit like that. My bumper hits that glass and I am afraid to hit the hood and brake any suspension... You gave me new inspiration!

[​IMG]

9. Depdog

84gmcjimmy

It's a 1977 Chevrolet K-5. Wore out 350 engine with Howell F.I. SM-465 Tranny with an NP-205 T-case. 4" (probably closer to 5" now) of lift with cut out fenders. No body lift. Front axle moved forward 1.5" Rear home made shackle flip. Dana 60 with 35 spline axles and 35 spline stubs, Detroit Locker with Warn Premium Hubs. Rear 14 bolt axle with Detroit Locker. Both with 4.56 gears. 1.5" wide spacers to make the rear axle the same width as the front. Crossover steering with RockStomper Rock Rod for a tie rod. Custom shock mounts front and rear, custom skid plate/cross-member for the tranny/t-case. RS9000's with in cab controller. On board welder and air (air via a York Compressor with about 11 gallons of storage tanks, compressor mounted on a custom made set of brackets). Custom bumpers front and rear (rear with tire carrier for full size spare). Tires are 39.5x15x15 Super Swamper TSL's on 15x10 Allied Beadlocks (including the spare).

All the custom stuff I built at home. I probably left a few things out, but thats the main stuff.

Thanks
    Glenn

10. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

I feel for you brother, my wife just got over Graves Disease and Thyroiditis. Took well over a year to figure out what is was(like you said). She opted to have the surgery to remove the Thyroid completely, she had that done in the begining of May and is 250% better since! She swayed back and forth between hyper and hypo-thyroid for 6-8 months, believe me I understand what your going through. The best advice I can give you is if she has the option of getting her Thyroid removed....DO IT, my wife is SO happy she did it..me to. Either way good luck, and hope your wife gets better soon.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow, that sounds like a well built rig /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

12. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck to you and your family. I hope your wifes health turns around.

I have a 90ish buick park ave that I want to hit like that. My bumper hits that glass and I am afraid to hit the hood and brake any suspension... You gave me new inspiration!

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

ugly~and we won't tell the people that own that grey car about all the overspray they found all over the next morning when they came outside.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. Depdog

ugly Looking forward to seeing the CRUNCHED pics of that sucker. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

84gmcjimmy Thanks I appreciate it /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Glenn