Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip - 38x15.5x16

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2Dogs, Apr 28, 2003.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone run these tires? Or seen them in action in any size?

If you have seen them how well will the 15.5" work with my 10"
    wide wheels?

Thanks,

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Shawn just put a set of PJ's on the (im)Potent Rodent. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif His engine croaked on the way back from Moab, so they swapped the PJ's onto Toby's rig so Shawn's would fit on Toby's trailer. Toby said that the PJ's ride like a dream on the highway! He said that they did good on the rocks at Moab also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But those tires are WAY expensive!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

They are awesome looking tires but after 5k-10k miles the "P" and "J" become giant lugs. For what they cost I hear they don't last very long.
    I hear they perform good.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have also heard that they wear out fast, I know someone with the 36" PJ's on his F250 and he only got about 8000 miles out of them and they are allready below half tread.

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Just got the PJ's last month. I REALLY like them except for the price. In the quest of a smooth street tire with good off-road traction, these tires fit the bill. I was so tired of running bias ply tires if I wanted something large. The PJ's hooked awesome in Moab and really suprised me since I was use to my 38.5" SX tires. According to Toby, these ride smoother than his 37" SSR's which both have a E-load rating. I'm also impressed with the size. I wanted something that was AT LEAST 38" tall. Unlike the 38" TSL radial and the other larger radials, which are only 37" tall, these are as tall as Dave's (storm trooper) 39" TSL's and my old 38.5" SX's (we measured the PJ's and 39" TSL's one night). The noise level isn't bad and the ride is just awesome. Didn't take much weight to balance them either. I can do over 100mph without ANY vibes. Its an all around good tire. I think one of the mags rated it well against the others too. After they wear down a little, I'm having them siped in the middle since the middle siping in the middle is the first to go.

Here's a pic in Moab last week:
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    From www.dirtgriptires.com
    FAQ:
    How do Dirt Grip Tires perform in on-off road conditions?

The tires were tested by Peterson's Four Wheel and Off Road Magazine (April 2001 issue). They were rated outstanding in all conditions. They proved a good self-cleaning ability in mud, floated in the sand dunes, gripped the rocks and boulders, and gripped in the snow due to the aggressive shoulder blocks, deep siping, and wide open voids. The tire also performs very smoothly and quietly on the highway for this type of tire due to the PJ tread design which is similar to a rib highway tire. Four Wheeler (January 2002 issue) also tested the tires and rated them (on a scale of 1-5) 4 stars in the mud, 4 stars in rocks, 5 stars in sand, and 4 stars in the street.

Edit Edit:
    If I was in the market for 37" or smaller, thats good all around, then I'd be looking at the MTR's, BFG's and SSRs.

6. 2Dogs

Thanks All!

Sounds good. It is these or another set of MTRs but in 17" which will be an $expensive$ proposition.

What happened to the Rodent? Do you have any current pics?

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I have also heard that they wear out fast, I know someone with the 36" PJ's on his F250 and he only got about 8000 miles out of them and they are allready below half tread.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If they only last 8,000 miles then Shawn should get 10-12 years out of them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Shawn

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks All!

Sounds good. It is these or another set of MTRs but in 17" which will be an $expensive$ proposition.

What happened to the Rodent? Do you have any current pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, 17's are costly and limited in sizes.

Not much done on the K5. It was doing okay until last week when the engine let go (machine shops fault).

Few current pics in Moab that Storm Trooper took:
    www.off-road.com/chevy/rodent/ejs2003

9. Shawn

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    If they only last 8,000 miles then Shawn should get 10-12 years out of them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

You know that spare 60 hub you loaned me? Well, I just lost it bitch! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 2Dogs

As usual - your truck is SHWEET!

You still have your front fenderwells?

I wish I was closer so I could try your tires and wheels...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 2Dogs

1 More thing - 38s on a 6" lift, correct?

What backspacing are those wheels.

And since Mr. Fox is lurking - what combo are you running this week? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Shawn

[ QUOTE ]

As usual - your truck is SHWEET!

You still have your front fenderwells?

I wish I was closer so I could try your tires and wheels......

1 More thing - 38s on a 6" lift, correct?

What backspacing are those wheels.

And since Mr. Fox is lurking - what combo are you running this week? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Still have fenderwells. You're more than welcome to try them if you were closer. Yes, 38's and 6" lift but my rear springs were sagging BAD. Wheel spacing is the standard 16.5x9.75 at 4.75" BS. They're Eagle 143's. http://www.eaglewheels.com/143.htm

13. 2Dogs

Wow. I was assuming those were 12" wide wheels.... Dud at the tire shop said they wouldn't work good on a 10" wheel - BS, looks great.

Price will need to come down or I'll need to get $200 each for my used MTRs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Shawn

10" width seams to work great. Wheels are protected more and less likely to lose a bead with the 16.5's @ 15lbs.

15. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

The dirt grips are great tires. I had 36x15.5xR15 mounted on 12" rims until very recently (sold them on CK5) when I dropped my '72 and went to 33" BFG TAs. They were real quiet on the road w/ 18psi and were very good off road.....and they look MEAN w/out the noise.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I've also read that they have a 35,000 mile tread life warranty on them....so you figure even if they are more $$$, it'd be worth it for the extra mileage you'd get over a Swamper.
    Pretty nice warranty for that kind of tire! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've also read that they have a 35,000 mile tread life warranty on them....so you figure even if they are more $$$, it'd be worth it for the extra mileage you'd get over a Swamper.
    Pretty nice warranty for that kind of tire! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    i havent heard of n e thing liek that, but if it is true, then that would be sweet.

i have the pj in a 36" size, and have worn down the priginal pj, and the tires still give great traction in all terran. im very happy with these tires.

18. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve, when did the 'Rodent get a 14 bolt SF out back? Or am I just hallucinating?
    On a different note, awesome truck man. Reading about the Potent Rodent was one of the first things that got me really into four wheeling a few years ago.

19. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know a kid who has a set(33 10.50) on his 2002 stock F150 I sal him in the mud with it and they did alot better then I thought they would

20. inaminute5150

inaminute5150 Registered Member

Not to change subject,but i've been looking for a good winch bumper,but haven't been able to find exactly what i want.Wondering where did you get that bumper from? I was wanting the one like on project U.A.V,but i heard they went out of business,back to sqaure one again!! Any insight would be appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif