Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parnelli Jones look alike car got 53k at auction...eeekkk

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by camiswelding, Apr 26, 2006.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Ive been watching the new show about the guy who gets beaters and does repo classics outta them... then sending them to auction

the merc he did was a nice job,,, but 53k.... for a repo???

Give me a new 4500 crew 4 x 4 instead

to each his own I guess...

last time the guy to a lemans and tried to make it into a gto...
    I say... no way

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah I dont like how he took that Lemans and pasted it off as a GTO..

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I also watch "Wrecks to Riches".

4. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Barrett-Jackson monday night had a 70 hemi cuda went for $430,000. One bid jumped up $100,000:eek1:
    George

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ho-Hum--another clone of "american hot rod"....etc..

I watched "Wrecks to Riches" too,both shows...not impressed at all!..The guy running the place is just like all the other shows..bossy,anal,and wants everything done instantly...before the "deadline"..(which is a crock--most cars in REAL restorations take months to years,not weeks!..:rolleyes:

I was especially disgusted about the first show,the Lemans into a GTO one..

I was glad it failed to meet reserve at the auction..who the F^^% would pay 30+ grand fo a re-hashed FAKE GTO??...having owned a 69 myself,I could have told him the Lemans is NOT the same exact car as a GTO,its not just bolt ons that make it a "Goat"...yeah,buy a Lemans for a grand,then spend 25 more to make it resemble a real muscle car..

I learned the hard way a 69 Lemans trunklid is 2" LONGER than a GTO one,I bought a mint one off a Lemans at a boneyard,and it was too long to fit my GTO!...the "Enduro Bumper" was not a bolt on,as they found out--he should have listened to the guy ordering the parts,he seemed to know what he was talking about..if I remember correctly,A GTO has a shorter wheelbase than a Lemans does too!..I think the entire rear half of the car is shorter on a GTO..

Last nights show made me queasy too...take a minty 64 Merc Marauder,and butcher it into a fake race car replica,and bring in the former racer to endorse it,all for TV's sake..(dont get me wrong,I'm a Parnelli Jones fan myself,but I feel they ruined a nice original car..)...I guess people will buy anything if it looks nice..

We restored a 66 Mercury Montery convertible at the junkyard..its still sitting inside the biulding AFAIK...it failed to bring 3000 bucks when offered to a few interested parties when the yard closed for bussiness..its a nice car with a 410 V8 too...they didn't really advertise it though..but I donr see that car bringing 30 grand..no way..

I would rather see them restore the cars to stock,and see what they would bring..not make phoney muscle cars and race legends replica's out of them..just a waste if you ask me..and I feel it will make others think its OK to "clone" muscle cars made from the lower end models and pass them off as Super Sports,GTO's,etc...:mad: ..I realize the "real" ones are rare as hell,but thats no excuse..

I wonder if that Lemans was a T-37..which is RARER than a GTO??..:crazy: