Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parnelli Jones vs Cooper Discover STT ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87Whitey, Dec 2, 2005.

1. 87Whitey

87Whitey Registered Member

Well did a bunch of searches but really could not find enough info already out there.
    Looking to decide on a 37"x12.5" R17 Tire

These will need to provide good highway (dry and wet), good gravel road, good muddy trails, and snow traction. I am not too worried about rock, don't get out rock climbing much in the Burb
    These will run on my 87 Burb, 4" suspension lift, good fender trim, D60/14B, 4.56
    open f&r (going to stay open with the snow/ice driving I get into)

Choices I have narrowed down to (but open for opinions/options):
    Top 2
    Cooper Discoverer STT - like the price and have had Cooper Ats before
    Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips - same price/like some of the review/no experience

Optional (in order)
    Goodyear MTRs
    Goodyear MT II (Military issue) - have to go to 16.5 rims (I am buying new anyway - probably the least expensive with some contacts I have)
    BFG AT

Help :bow:
    Looking for some real world use of the Coopers or Parnelli

Thanks in advance
    Steve
    :confused:

2. 91k2500

91k2500 Registered Member

I had the Coopers. They were a decent mud tire, for the price. They didn't last very long for how hard the tread compound is. :confused: I got like 20k outta em and they were starting to wear low. Does better in mud than rocks, real good on the road, never hydroplaned. I doubt they come in a 37 though.

I think the Mt/r is a better all around tire, but they suck in the mud. And are usually overpriced.

I got Trxus MT now, and love em. Quietest mud tire ever. They run true sizes, good in mud, great on rocks, nice on road ride, supposed to get 30-40k outta them. I would highly recommend for a daily driver.

3. bernman

bernman Registered Member

cooper makes 37's? if they did i sure would take the cooper

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

2 words:

MTR's Baby! :D

5. 87Whitey

87Whitey Registered Member

Cooper's just started them in a 37 this year check the link
    http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTruck&id=271&title=Light+Truck+Tires

Well i found some other sites that had done more study's on the Cooper's seems like they are one of the most recalled tires...

I got a deal on some Goodyear Wrangler RT II (Military tires) I got 8 for the price of 3 MTR's with the little stubby's still on them....we will see how they do, they are 36x12.5 R16.5 and from what I read they are good on the highway as well as the trails. The tires look great and are very thick sidewalls.

I prefer bias based tires so the 16.5 suited future purchases as well...and I really never run at extreme low pressure so I should not have to worry about the bead pops.

FYI I found out that the Parnelli's are actually Goodyear, just a different die for the tread...

Thanks for the help and lets hope things work like I hope
    Steve

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can't beat the all around performance of the MTRs but they run small (35s are actually 34s etc....). Check the true diameter of all your choices if you are looking to run max coverage.

I checked earlier today on 37x16s - Pro Comp XAT=36.8" , IROKs=37.25"

7. coreyd

coreyd Registered Member

I am running 37's PJ's on my burb, going on 7,000 miles right now and there is hardly any wear, real quit on the highway, great in the mud, waiting for the snow. Had goodyears, bfg's, these are the best yet.

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I had the old version and I was shocked at how well they wore. I thought they were great in that respect. Terrible in the snow, but now they are made with siping so they're probably good. If you are looking at recalls definitely consider what kind is being recalled ie truck or car tires, it's the only fair way to equate that factor.

Took the words right outta my mouth. I run them now. I'm not ready to make a decision on their wear though.

9. HillJackCustoms

HillJackCustoms Registered Member

I'd go with the Cooper ST model... My buddy has the STT's and they are crap... 5 of my other friends have the ST's... My buddy has 30,000 on his right now, and his ST are still good, just make sure you rotate them...