Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

paronoid all night about my truck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by supersize75k5, Sep 12, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Last night I opened the garage to go pull my tools out of my truck, as the garage door is going up I here a bunch of noise, a guys voice and some white chevy 1500 peals off as I walk out of the garage.

I go out side and my door is open on the blazer, my console lid is up, my clothes on the concrete and my blazer is in neutral and moved foward a few feet/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

The truck was around the corner by the time I got to the drive way. I did call it in, but it really does not help unless a cop happened to pull the same truck over later, or was right in the area at the time, even then it would be luck if they were cought.

I didn't sleep all night thanks to this, I really am thinking that having a nice truck I cant keep in a garage is just a blazer waiting to be stolen.

This upsets me more that it piss's me off /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I dont think I could handle it if my truck got stolen /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Last night I opened the garage to go pull my tools out of my truck, as the garage door is going up I here a bunch of noise, a guys voice and some white chevy 1500 peals off as I walk out of the garage.

I go out side and my door is open on the blazer, my console lid is up, my clothes on the concrete and my blazer is in neutral and moved foward a few feet/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

The truck was around the corner by the time I got to the drive way. I did call it in, but it really does not help unless a cop happened to pull the same truck over later, or was right in the area at the time, even then it would be luck if they were cought.

I didn't sleep all night thanks to this, I really am thinking that having a nice truck I cant keep in a garage is just a blazer waiting to be stolen.

This upsets me more that it piss's me off /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I dont think I could handle it if my truck got stolen /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] (1) invest in a quality alarm for it. (2) rig up some "hidden" switch that kills power to the ignition and or electric fuel pump. (3) Motion lights placed around where you park can help alot. They scare off 90% of the thevin' bastards, and make it nice when you come home at night by lighting everything up.

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I know, but I still worry, an alarm only does so much, I also dont keep the top on my blazer.

I am just paranoid now /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: paranoid all night about my truck

[ QUOTE ]
    I know, but I still worry, an alarm only does so much, I also dont keep the top on my blazer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    GET AN ALARM they have alarms that have motion sensors so if someone reaches in when you have the top off it will set off the alarm. alarms also have a starter kill

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The alarm would be great for me. It'd give me enough time to grab the shotgun and get out the door.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In all honesty, I think the motion lights around where you park are a wise investment. Theves get scared off most of the time when they're sneaking up to your stuff and all of a sudden the light come on. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    GET AN ALARM they have alarms that have motion sensors so if someone reaches in when you have the top off it will set off the alarm. alarms also have a starter kill

[/ QUOTE ]
    'An alarm only does so much'.... HUH? Like going off the second that fawker touches your truck so you can catch him red handed? If an alarm starts going off they are probably not going to stick around and continue to steal whatever, or come back and try again.
    The one or two times i've actually needed that alarm i'm glad i had it.

Yah, a month before i installed my 1 ton axles or my tpi, i got a DEI hornet alarm (same mfg as viper alarms). I figured i better install a $100 alarm before i go adding several thousand dollars worth of parts onto my blazer. I have had someone steal my backpack and college books out of my blazer when the top was off and parked out front of my house. The price of my alarm was less than the stuff they got away with. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    My alarm was about $90 and the motion sensor was around $35. It has a two stage setting so when i have the doors off and someone walks by real close to my truck it will chirp and warn you, and if you try to stick your arm in the truck it will set it off. Most of the time i am within distance of hearing my alarm if it goes off and out of the house i come running with a bat. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I also have a club that i put on my truck when its parked at school or the mall, or overnight out front of my house.. those autolocks look like a better anti theft setup though.
    Hook up an ignition kill also.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I also have a club

[/ QUOTE ] Those club things that lock the steering wheel don't do much in my honest opinion. No they can't cut it with a hacksaw, but they can cut the steering wheel itself ans slide the club off. Just thought I'd bring that up.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Anything to slow them down or make the little bastards think twice is worth it.

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya, alarms are pretty much useless in a mall, but your driveway is where the problem is. Get one. I even have one on my beater. (it is a toggle switch to the horn from a dome light source, the door is open -> the horn goes off and so do I). Motion ights, lock it up and put big ass orange signs saying "stolen car 5PM-4AM" (or something like that) all over your neigborhood (sp) so everybody knows that there are theives in the area and they will know they are not welcome.

I have been there, allan has been there (pretty soon after he moved here) it sucks.

PS if you catch them drag them into your house or the cops will let them go (stupid intent loop hole in the law).

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have one of these for my truck.

[​IMG]

PEP BOYS sells one especially for GM's, which sells for about $50. With one of these thieves cannot smash the steering column, and turn the key cylinder.

12. 87_k5_silverado

87_k5_silverado Registered Member

i seem to remember a post a week or so back where someone in az got their rig stolen.... would get an alarm w/starter kill on it. Crimestopper has good stuff. That is what I have and I love it.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If anything will slow them down, it's that. Without tools to disassemble the column from the steering wheel side, a trailer is the only way the vehicle is going anywhere with one of those on it.

I know a few people that have been saved by that. May not prevent a broken window (damn thieves are dumb not to see that) but it will keep your rig around. Fits almost all the GM cars and trucks from about '73-96. (or at least the ones worth protecting)

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1) removeable steering wheel
    2) starter kill switch
    3) fuel kill switch
    4) removable t-case shifter lever, leave it in neutral
    5) removable tranny shifter lever
    6) big chain run through a rim and around the frame
    7) brake pedal lock

only way its going anywhere with all that goin on is if they bring a tow truck and winch it up on to it. Always possible, but pretty damn unlikely.

IMO a big azz pist off dog is prolly better than any/all of the above.

j

15. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

just sell it and buy a jeep!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. justhorsinaround

Don't sell it. GIVE it to me and THEN go buy a Jeep. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't sell it. GIVE it to me and THEN go buy a Jeep. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

good thinking Allan /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. justhorsinaround

I'm always thinkin. Mostly about stupid retarded things but the brain is a always workin.

19. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

How did they get it into neutral?? **** anything up doin it??

20. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How did they get it into neutral?? **** anything up doin it??

[/ QUOTE ]

the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif has an sm465 so they dident **** anything up.