Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part 2, Welding Gov-Lok, couple more 14 bolt Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Dec 1, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Part 2, Welding Gov-Lok, couple more 14 bolt Q\'s

First off, I have taken a bunch of pics and will be posting them later /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So far so good (so what, haha)... Spent the last hour or so welding the Gov-Lok together, and my timing was perfect. Upon looking it over carefully it was clear the thing was non-functional and only an open diff at this point-no good! Pics to come... I was also suprised how well my 135 amp welder did, had it on max heat and never hit the duty cycle. Not sure why so many people complain about 110v welders, except for not being able to weld really thick stuff.

Only problem I ran into is that even after 3 cans of brake cleaner there was still gear oil in some of the parts...so of coarse when it got hot the oil would thin out and spread itself around. Have to say that is the nastiest smelling sh!t when its burning!!! Flux core is bad enough fumes-wise, this was almost too much. But once I moved out into the driveway with a fan to suck the fumes away it wasn't so bad.

---------

14 bolt questions:

When I reassemble this thing I am worried about getting the ring gear bolts torqued down...think they need to be like 110 ft/lbs (have to check the 14 bolt bible again). When I took it apart I used my weak impact gun, and it got the bolts off okay, but I'm not sure it will get them on tight enough and not sure how I could hold the carrier while trying to torque them with a torque wrench /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thats it for not, still have to clean the flux core crap off everything and check the welds. I think it should hold up fine myself /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif But time will tell

2. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Re: Part 2, Welding Gov-Lok, couple more 14 bolt Q\'s

When I weld diffs I usualy preheat with a tourch enough that it burns off any excess oil/contaminants before I weld.

If you can't get the carrier into a vice or ratchet strap it to a bumper you can always reinstall it into the axle with the bolts kinda tight...then torque them down when its in there. Install the drive shaft with the rig in gear or install the tires and set in on the ground (if the axle is in the truck). If not, set the parking brake or take a long pipe and clamp it to the pinion yoke (with the u-joint straps) to keep it from turning while you torque the bolts.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

All I have is a propane torch, and it didn't seem to be burming much of anything off. The big issue was the clutch pack on the one end (where it doesn't come off easy) and I think it was holding in some gear oil.

Didn't think of tightening the ring gear down once its installed. Thats should work, axle is under the truck now. I'll just get them as tight as possible with the impact before putting it in.
    -------

Oh, the other thing I remembered was that I was thinking of welding it all into the carrier as well, but using flux core and all I think it would be too much of a mess- especially since the carrier bearings are installed.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

First pic, all welded up...think it will hold? I have never welded a diff before, to me it looks like it should be plenty strong but I /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif for sure.

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

looks good to me mike...nice work as usual /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif...did ya spin balance it yet so it wont shake? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    looks good to me mike...nice booger welds as usual /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif...

[/ QUOTE ]

There fixed it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Spin balance /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Holy Macro Mode /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

Thats why my gov-lok didn't work, almost all the teeth on the dealy-ma-bob (technical term /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ) that engages the clutches are broken off /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif And somehow the bearings aren't all shot or are they /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Eh, look okay to me.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Looks perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah your gonna have more fun now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I dont know the torque spec. I always just tighten them with a 1/2" gun, remember, use loc tite.