Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part 3 Gov-Lok Welded and installed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Dec 3, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Project took a little longer than expected, but its all back together and I took it for a test drive. Even though I wrote down how many turns for each adjuster for the carrier bearings, I still felt like I was doing it wrong when I put it back together /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif I did notice a tiny amount of play between the pinion and the ring gear when it was back together and can't remember if it was like that before /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I am guessing a little play is ok, and I mean a very small amount (though I am not a machinist type so I couldn't say accurately how much there is).

All in all, my general feeling is that I could have done a better job, and I would not be suprised if the carrier bearings don't last too long. But if it fails then I'll just pick up another 14 bolt. I think I could do a better job welding a diff the next time around.

I promised pics, but I am feeling lazy right now. I will try to post a few later on. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah there has to be play between the ring gear and pinion. This is what they call backlash. If you dont have enough, you will melt your ring and pinion set down. I think the spec is 0.008"-0.016" or right around there.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Theres always more play at the pinion then the ring gear. I have no idea why, but it is normal.