Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

part not available???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Jul 12, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

I went to the chevy dealership yesterday to buy a bearing kit for the lower part of the steering column, where the column comes out of the firewall. all the bearings fell out, and this is what is causing my sloppy steering for the last few weeks, and they said i had to but the entire column shat and rag joint assembly $145.00, and all i need is a bearing kit. Has anybody had this issue, and what can i do to not spend 145 for a bearing???
    thanks
    chris

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Can you get the rest of the bearing out and possibly get a part number? If so, then you can go to a bearing wholesaler and get a similar bearing for cheap.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Try calling a couple of different dealers - that should still be available as just a bearing kit, if not, another dealer is likely to have it in stock.

<font color=red>What would Brian Boitano Do?</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

4. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

CRAP... that 's what it is. i am a little of subject but will your talking about gm parts four months ago i went to buy several little things the o-rings for the oil cooler which non of the parts store can get cause they are different shape and anti squeek kit for the gas tank cause i don't want a cheep one, well know that i am to that point everything i priced and looked up four months ago has been discontinued.....
    Disgruntled.

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

It would not suprise it GM would only sell the whole shaft. my father inlaw's rag joint wore out on his s-10 blazer and the dealer would only sell the entire shaft. The dealer said the whloe shaft should be replaced due to saftey. Just sounds like they want the money.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Tried just getting the rag joint myself. My parts man told me the same thing. He is the best in my area. The computers dont let you look up jut that part anymore.

My .02
    John

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

7. 88streetblaze

you could run it through their parts locator IF you could look up the old number though. some times the stupid things people do dumbfound even me....

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have not tried to remove anything yet, i wanted to have the parts in hand before i started so i could just put it back together. does not look like that is going to happen. when i take it apart where would i look for the numbers

9. 88streetblaze

that just it for the most part the only way to get the numbers is off the box it orginally came in or to have the dealer look it up, but once they have been discontinued the parts guy can't look up the part number.....retarded isn't it.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just go get a whole new column from the junkyard, they're about $50.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Usually on the outside of the race or on the dust shield covering the actual ball bearings or rollers...

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

All the auto makers must be doing this. A guy I work with Tried to just get steering shaft bearings for his Ford. The dealer would only sell him the whole shaft. I told him that he already got that when he bought the truck.
    I think they wont sell the indivdual parts because of liabaility reasons. Some body could just replace the bearings, and the shaft could break and they would get sued.
    You should be able to dissasenble the steering collum and get the bearings from a bearing supply co.

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>