Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part number for fuel line?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's a long shot, but anyone know the GM part number for the metal fuel line from the pump to the carb on an '83? I see I could get it from LMC, but it's kind of important so I'd rather get the real deal if possible...

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't really worry about the "real deal" on this piece, but it may end same price as the aftermarket, so why not?

I think I tried to look this up in my parts manual, and I couldn't find it. Did you do a search on this board to see if it's been posted before?

3. Mastiff

I haven't been able to find it by searching. Here's a question: in the LMC catalog, they have all kinds of fuel lines. My truck originally had a 305, but now it has a 350. I don't think there was ever a problem with the fuel line fitting, but LMC has a different part number for 305 or 350. I suppose I should get the 305 one, since that's what I had, but what the heck is the difference I wonder?

4. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Probably just the diamater. The 350 will need more fuel thean the 305. Not sure though.

5. Mastiff

If it is just the diameter, then I'd want the bigger one, of course.

6. dyeager535

Dunno why they'd bother with two different diameters, there aren't different Q-jet inlet/fitting sizes that I'm aware of, so it would make sense to use the same piece for every SBC.

Still gotta try and look that number up.

7. dyeager535

Ok, just checked the parts manual, and there is no picture shown.

362217 is ALL I can find in the parts manual, and it isn't clear what it fits. Says same piece 454/350, so that leads me to believe it's not the same piece.

Sometimes this manual is great, sometimes its a POS. It lists the hoses that come out of the sending unit, but thats it. GM dealer should be able to help.

8. Mastiff

Thanks for the help. I decided just to order from LMC. The decription had "OM" in it, so maybe that means "original manufacturer" or something anyway.

I'll post back here if it ends up being a piece of junk, or my truck catches on fire or something. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

justmakeone.. 3/8" basic every day steel tubing from napa,its easy cake and very cheap,anyone who spends buckson a premadeoneis stupid, they make them the same way that you can makeoneyourslef

no offense toanyone

ive seriously considered a million times now about buying up steel tubing stocks and making lines for various applications and underselling them prebent,

if the woprldis that "stupid", then i guess so be it....

goodluck

10. dyeager535

That's the key, rebent. Nothing quite as frustrating as trying to bend up some lines with everything in place.

Probably a royal pain trying to bend a fuel line if you have no pattern, and the alternator, smog pump, etc. is in place.

11. Mastiff

Well, I ordered the part number for a 305, like I originally had, and it won't fit. I'm not sure if I should send it back and take a chance on the 350 one, or just try to bend one myself.

How tolerant is 3/8" tubing to being bent and unbent? I could try to bend this one to fit, but I'd have to unbend some curves and I'm not sure how well that would work out.

12. dyeager535

Tried (and partially succeeded) to straighten some of the fuel line (pipe as GM calls it) for my truck the other day.

If the bends aren't sharp, it will straighten fairly easily. But if it's say a 45* bend or so, it's going to kink.

Why doesn't it fit? Any chance you can take a picture of it? I was under the impression all SBC fuel "pipes" were the same. (as long as the carb was the same) Any chance the one you got was for a 2 barrel carb application or something?

13. Mastiff

I can get some pictures later this week (still taking 35mm and scanning /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif). I have most of my original one, it's just that I have the end cut off. The one from LMC and the orignal look like they start and stop in the same places, but some of the bends in the middle are different. Turns out that some of them are critical to fitting correctly.

Maybe LMC or their supplier just screwed up, I don't know. I originally had the 305, so I bought that one. I don't think I ever changed it out when I went to the 350. I don't have a good explanation. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm sick of messing with it, so, since I have both pieces of the original, I'm just going to clean it up and use a 2" piece of rubber fuel line to connect them. I don't want to guess on the 350 one and have to mail that back too.

14. Mastiff

Here's a pic of the non-fitting fuel line. It might be hard to tell everything from the pic...

[​IMG]

I ended up cutting it apart and using one end of it in conjunction with what was left of my original. I joined them with a little piece of rubber fuel line. Not ideal, but it works and doesn't look as bad as a 8" loop of rubber line. (You can see pics at the link below if you like).

15. dyeager535

Hmm.

Anyone know why the 305/350 would have different fuel lines? Same physical block dimensions, thermostat housing, etc....

16. jmd

jmd Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone know why the 305/350 would have different fuel lines? Same physical block dimensions, thermostat housing, etc....

[/ QUOTE ]

They were changing some, but not all cars to fuel systems w/ return lines. This probably carried over to trucks in some way; 305 got it; 350 didn't. Or something like that which involved a slightly different fuel pump & line locations. That's all I can think of. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Matthew