Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part number for NP205 shifter mounting bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fredekr, Apr 1, 2003.

1. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Does anyone know the GM part number for the NP205 shifter mounting bolt? It's the bolt that the shifter pivots on, mine goes into the NP205 to TH350 adapter plate. My local dealership couldn't find any such thing... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

thanks,
    Kevin

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

try #14009313

That is just the bolt, it doesn't contain the grease zerk, b ut you can get the zerk at that dang cool hardware store you have down there where you just sit back and watch people pull stuff out of their butt that they think will work for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    try #14009313

That is just the bolt, it doesn't contain the grease zerk, b ut you can get the zerk at that dang cool hardware store you have down there where you just sit back and watch people pull stuff out of their butt that they think will work for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I second all the above info, including the part number and watching people pull stuff out of their butts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. fortcollinsram

No wes you don't understand /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif They have this hardware store down there in Boulder where the dudes will pull out EVERYTHING YOU need, count it for you, put it in a bag for you, LABEL the bag for you and staple it shut...you don't even have to touch a bolt until you get home... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    No wes you don't understand /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif They have this hardware store down there in Boulder where the dudes will pull out EVERYTHING YOU need, count it for you, put it in a bag for you, LABEL the bag for you and staple it shut...you don't even have to touch a bolt until you get home... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmm...kind of sounds like the homo who owns the local True Value store here in town! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. fortcollinsram

I think it is thier iventory control...a lot of hardware stores end up writing off a lot of inventory as a bad debt because so many people put a "few" extra bolts in the bag....it really is a shame, but what can you expect from Boulder, eh, Kevin? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

That bolt - is it the same for all 205s or what? He said he has a 350/205. I have a 465/205. Will the bolt be the same?
    -- Mike

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I remember previous posts correctly, there are two different bolts, more than likely dependent on year.

14009313 is listed in my '85/86 parts manual, so if there are any differences, an earlier adapter is more than likely going to be different, and not, say, an '87 or newer.

If that part number works for you, great, but if you want to "keep your gm vehicle all gm" you are out of luck with the zerk fitting apparently. However, the parts manual is nice enough to give the specs on it: 1/4"-28x1/2" straight.

Might want to do a search for posts on that bolt, as I'm fairly sure there are two different thread patterns.

9. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    That bolt - is it the same for all 205s or what? He said he has a 350/205. I have a 465/205. Will the bolt be the same?
    -- Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the bolt is the same and will work with all of the 205-equipped vehicles.

BTW, there are 2 different bolts available. This part number listed above is the more desired one since it has the hole for the zerk fitting. The other bolt is just that...no zerk fitting as some shifters had the zerk on the pivot point on the shifter itself.

Get this greasable bolt and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. fredekr

Yup, probably had something to do with groovy trustafarian driving daddy's landcruiser thinking a few bolts should be free... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif ... not that I'm bitter or anything /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Sometimes they are over helpful at that store but I've gotten quite used to it, now I feel neglected when I go to other hardware stores where they don't hold your hand and find excatly what you need for you /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Unfortunately, they DIDN'T have a bolt with a shoulder that fits right -- it's rattling like crazy now. I went ahead and ordered #14009313 from GMPartsDirect.com -- my local "stealership" wanted 2x as much $$ (yes, just another benefit of living in the Republic of Boulder /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif )...

The junkyard said my adapter is from a '74, the shifter "should" be the same vintage... I'll let everyone know if it works...

cheers!
    Kevin

11. fortcollinsram

The 465/205 I bought originally was from a 1972 truck and it had a muchs smalle bolt hole in the adapter, I easily could've drilled and tapped it bigger, but I am cheap and a tap that big is not, so I swapped in another adapter I had laying around...

Yea, Kevin, I got my bolt from gmpartsdirect too...if fact that is were I get most of my stuff, after I get the dealer to cough up the PN I need /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

14071955 - Boot Assm Shifter
    Boot has the trim ring impregnated into it...

Can't find the invoice for the shifter though...first shifter i bought came with the bolt...years later when i converted the Chalet it didn't...but the design has changed...since the old spring washers are not ava...gm redesigned the shifter...where the bolt goes thru now has a isolater bushing like a spring eye...i have no rattles from my shifter.

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I have a brand new one still in the bag I can send you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Do yourself a favor and just order it from the dealer or get it from someone on here. I looked and looked and looked for a bolt that would work and found nothing. The threads are odd and the shoulder is of an odd diameter. I tried drilling out the shifters to fit a bolt that I could have MADE work but that just tore up my $20 bit. I tried going under size and putting a sleeve over the shoulder of the bolt but that didn't work either. I did a twin stick on the 205 and had a machine shop use the original bolt to make the new one from. They charged me $25 and included 2 grease ports for each shifter and the zirk. Pics are in the link below.

15. fredekr

Thanks for the replies everyone... I was too quick on the draw and ordered the bolt fo gmpartsdirect.com as soon as the part # got posted... lesson for the future, wait a couple days for offers from CK5ers first /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif at least two people have offered to send me theirs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

thanks,
    Kevin