Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part number help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Aug 26, 2005.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a part number for the studs for the exhaust manifold. The connection from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe three studs and bolts per manifold. I tried having the parts guy at Autozone search and no luck (typical "Uh its not in the computer") Can anyone help me with this. I have Autozone, Advance Auto, Napa, and O'reilys close by just need a number to have them look up.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Their is a stud kit in the Help section . I can't remember the number . Comes with 3 studs and brass looking nuts .

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thanks, any idea what size/tread pitch I need?

4. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you shouldn't need a part # for those studs. use one of the nuts to size a new stud. your local parts house should be able to help if not stop going there.

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thanks I forgot all aboutthe old nut. The heat is starting to get to me. 97 on an asphalt parking lot under a black truck for about 8hrs per day the past week. :yikes:

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

oem

14088827 & 14088828 for the studs and 838780 for your nutz....

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Is that from the dealer or where?

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

What year???

MOST chevy small blocks have 3/8" studs,but newer ones might have 10MM metric ones...they come in 2 sizes,one with a "heat riser" used 3" long studs,ones without used 1-1/2" studs..

I never use store bought ones (being poor)so I made some out of long threaded bolts I had and chopped the heads off..I've found no matter WHAT I use for studs or nuts,brass,stainless,or whatever--they NEVER come off after 1 year of our wonderfully corrosive environment around here!..even with tons of "never seize"... :doah: :( ...I use 5/16" nuts and bolts if the stud holes go all the way thru the manifolds now--then all I have to do is cut the bolts next time--no pulling,drilling,and tapping the exhaust manifolds any more!.. :crazy:

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Dealer.

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

11. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I just had to get these myself. The HELP! ones is a fix it kit for 1 stud, came with 2 different length studs, 1 spring and 1 nut. And it was $8. And the short one was the wrong length anyway.
    My local parts store had them loose in a bin, so I got lucky, the dealer was next. He said he just buys them from the dealer and keeps them, because so many people ask. $12 for 3 studs, springs and nuts. They are all very different depening on emissions, exhaust setup. My right side on the '86 c10 had 1 short, 2 long because of a little emissions actuator mounted there.
    They are a BITCH to get out of your manifold too especially when broken. I had to use a welder and a spare nut, placed the nut over the broked stud, welded the piss out of it, waited for it to cool, and finally got it to move.
    Thestuds are are 3/8", but they have special threads on them to allow them to thread in, but not back out. The nut is a self locking type too.

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the dealer is the best bet then.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As an FYI, for later removal, I've had good luck using the really thick brass nuts. Not sure what they are called or what the application is for, but they are maybe 1/2-1" "thick", unlike the standard nuts that are what, maybe 1/4" at best? You can also use two of the "normal" thickness brass nuts to lock each other in place, but the bigger one is just easier.

The brass won't seize to the stud, so you'll never twist the studs off like normally happens.

14. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Would it be possible to just use some all-thread from the hardware store or would it back out as well?

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think allthread would be a problem really, except that it seems pretty flimsy. I could be wrong, I've not dealt with it much.

I don't think those have a problem of backing out, I've never had the stud come loose.