Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part out the Jimmy or sell it whole?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Mar 17, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's about time to get rid of ol' Big Orange, so I come to you guys with this question. Do I want to sell the Jimmy as a complete vehicle, or let many people benefit from it? It's an almost rust free truck with a lot of miles but has a lot of rebuilt parts. What do you guys think? I'm willing to go through the trouble of parting it out, so all I need is some suggestions.

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I put the whole up for sale (with my K20) and no one was interested. I parted it out and damn near everything is gone, and I got more out of the parts than I would have the whole. I would say it depends on the response you get trying to sell it complete. If no or poor response, break out the wreches and start gutting.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well as it sits in the For Sale forum now, I've not had any interest, although there is one guy that asked about my Toy axles in a previous thread. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I would almost rather let the guys and gals on this site benefit from it rather than some mexican around here get it and put shag around the windshield and chrome it out. If someone ever did that to a vehicle I once owned, a recon mission would be in effect and a car would be toasted in the morning.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

If you get more cash parting it out... why not? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Return it to stock (sell in local paper) and sell off the goodies here... You would get far more $$ in the end and not take a K5 off the face of the earth at the same time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Each one that disappears makes them that much harder to find in the future.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

It doesn't have any goodies with the exception of the lift...

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Man your jimmy is sweet and i would buy it in a heart beat but I have too many projects and not enough money Right now
    It would be a shame to part her out But if you do Might be interested in the whole tub fenders interier And so on

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

I guess the only thing left to do is to add up the price of all the parts, then compare it to what I MIGHT get selling it complete. I must admit, I think it would be a good base for someone else to start a project on, but I doubt I will ever get what it's probably worth.

9. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

if you cna make it a carbuerated engine easily and it will bolt into my 81, then id have to say part it out!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Sell it whole. If it was a few months later (ie after I graduated and got a job), I would consider buying it. I hate to see a nice truck torn apart.

Trey

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

88jimmyoungowner - just buy the intake from Holley that bolts up to the heads on it and there you go, insta-carb! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

When do you graduate? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I'm sure I'll still have it then.

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

parts trucks are all well and good, but i really hate seeing trucks in good shape going for parts. old k5's and jimmys are getting more rare by the day, and one more parts vehicle is one less on the road