Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part out this Dually for my Blazer, or...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The Butcher, Jul 11, 2005.

1. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As most of you can probably sympathize (or at least relate to), I bought a truck with the intentions of using the parts from it for my Blazer project. My Blazer is a 1991 K5 with a TBI350, 700R4, NP241, and 10 bolts front and rear. Currently it has a 3" bodylift and 33" All-terrains. The body on this thing is mint, and it's a really good looking truck as is.

My intentions were to pull the 454, D60 (and swap the hubs to make it SRW), D70 (swapping it with another guy for a SRW D70) from the dually pictured below, and putting them in under the Blazer. However, after picking the dually up this weekend, I kind of took a liking to it, and I'm thinking about keeping it and doing some work to it. It needs some major interior work (I'm somewhat concerned that my 300lb ass is going to fall through the rusted out floorboard), and the steering needs to be tightend up (I think replacing the steering arm should solve this). But, other than that it is a pretty cool truck. I'd like to put it up on some 38.5x11R16 Boggers and run it around for awhile.

So, here is my dilemma, and the question I have for everyone here:

Pull this truck apart to make a really cool Blazer, or keep the Blazer as is, and refurb this dually? If I refurb this dually, I will officially have three 4wheel drive trucks, and I am really not sure I need all of that. Of course, none of this is about need, but you know what I mean.

So, what would you guys do?

One thing for you guys to consider is that I got the Dually for really cheap ($2000 which is a hell of alot cheaper than if I have tried to buy a D60, D70, 454, NP205, and an SM465 all by themselves), so that's one reason why I wanted to use the parts for the Blazer. If I had to find all of that for the Blazer again (which I think ultimately I would do) I fear it would cost me alot more money.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.

Dually 1.jpg

Daually 4.jpg

Dualy 3.jpg

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Swap the parts into the Blazer is my vote but do it a little at a time so you don't lose the desire to finish(like me) :o

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Bro, I'd prb trade you MY blazer for that 1 ton. That's what I've been wanting BAD!

Personally, I'd keep it. Seriously. You'll find a 60 and what not, sure, it'll cost you. But I wouldn't part out that. Period.

KP

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thats a pretty sweet dually. I'd fix it up and drive it.....

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

****in drool @ the dually ! thats just badass looking

i didnt know one of those existed,.....

damn

nice score :D you lucky :D

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yep that is one sweet dually! but ultimately you have to decide what you realy want to do.

7. poolcues

poolcues 1/2 ton status

i say keep the dually.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

exactly.. you can have your cake and eat it too... that would make a good tow rig.... swap the axles as a pavement truck doesnt need a d60 front.... swap motor as a 305/350 will pull on the street.... all in all... you have to decide...

either part the one out and sell some to recoop some or
    use one as a tow rig that you swap parts to the trail rig...
    either way....
    :bow:

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get to swaping - that's what you bought it for. :D

10. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

keep the dually That thing is very cool. Everybody's got a blazer. The Dually is at least different. I would love a truck like that.

Actually I would assume the 1 ton frame is a lot stronger than the blazer's as well not to mention all the parts are already where they should be with out cutting welding and fighting to get things to fit.

11. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I would keep the Dually and wheel it. Then agine I just love Duallys.
    Here is a pic of a freinds Dually not same body but you get the idea

memorial weekend0076_small.jpg

12. The Butcher

What size tires is your friend running? Did he have to use wheel spacers in the back to keep the tires from rubbing together? Thanks.

Butcher

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Keep it! Don't butcher it! Its too easy to swap those parts to "another blazer" when you've already got the strongest truck GM offered in those years. In fact, it being a dually is reason enough to leave it alone as they can be rare in some parts of the states. :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

NO WAY>>>>!!!!

I would fix the Dually!!...its far too rust free (on the exterior at least!) to go chopping it up!...I agree they are a rare truck,and it is likely worth a lot more than you paid with a bit of work...

How hard core are you with your K5??--do you REALLY need a D60??..is it worth destroying a truck to get it?...I'd keep the crew cab,and find another K5 or pickup in worse shape bodywise to strip for parts!..that Dually is still to nice to part out in my opinion...it would make a nice tow rig or camper hauler,and I doubt you'll find another that cheap if you decide you do want one later on... :crazy:

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If your plans call for a cheep tow rig in the future then fix this one up. If not, get to swapping. I'm not much of a fan of lifted dullys, truth is, I'd rather see one lower & bagged than lifted. Thats my $.02, you asked for it.

16. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

keep the dually. those old trucks are awesome. Wish I had one.

17. The Butcher

Well, I thought asking around would lean more towards the swap, but most everyone (not all, but most) thinks I should keep the dually as is. Keep 'em coming guys. I've been debating this every hour within my own mind for the last 3 days, so I'd still like to get everyone else's opinion. :confused:

18. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That truck is sweet. I would fix it up and keep it.

19. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

swap the front axles...put the 10 bolt in the dually. and the d60 in the blazer. and just go find a new rear end. use the dually as a tow rig. i hate lifted duallys. there ugly period.

20. The Butcher

You're right. They are ugly. That's what makes them so cool! It's loud, obnoxious, and ugly. What else could you ask for?!