Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

part time 203 slipping from 2HI to neutral???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Sep 2, 2004.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Ok, when in 2 High, if I let off the gas, it shifts to neutral. It also happens when I'm in 4 High, it shifts to neutral. When I am in any Low, I do not have this problem.

It is not the adjustment on the shifter. I readjusted it, same problem. I took the shifter off, and shifted by hand, but same problem.

It only happens when I let off the gas. If I want to stop, I must hit the gas and the brake at the same time!!!!

Right now, I have the range selection lever of the 203 bailing wired tight to keep it in its forward (High Range) position. This keeps it in High, but it sucks if I want to four wheel and need low range. Only a tempoary fix I hope.

I am very familar with the 203 but I cannot think what could be causing this problem. Any help would be great!

Eli

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a thrust issue. How are the bearings? Are any of the shafts riding on an ovaled surface? It sounds like the gears are out of alainment. Can you hold the shift lever in high and keep it in high while off the gas?

I know I'm not much help I just ask questions.

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Berrings should be good, less than a year old since the overhaul. I don't know how the gears could be out of line, but mabey? I will get a better idea when I take it apart. Holding the shifter dosn't keep it in gear, tried it.

Any questioning is helpfull. It will give me more things to look for when I the 203 apart.

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Had the same probblem a few months ago on a trail ride. Haven't figured it out yet but working on it. Mine kept swapping from 4 low to 2 hi. Adjusted the linkage but no joy once i got on an obstacle. I am just going to twin stick it and do a rebuild and tat should fix it.

5. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Check your motor mounts, more specifically the transmission mount. It’s a common problem where the motor/transmission moves under torque or bouncing enough to “pull” on the linkage. I have fixed this problem several times over the years. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif