Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part time np 203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lukers, Oct 17, 2000.

1. lukers

lukers Registered Member

Hello all,
    I need info on converting NP 203 to part time. Where do I get parts. Has anyone here done one if so any tips?
    Thanks

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

3. FWP

FWP CRS

You should be able to get them off the shelf from your local 4 wheel drive shop for a little more if you want. If you run into any problems let us know, lots of us here have done this, it is very easy. Good luck.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Not that hard at all, just take your time and follow the instructions. If any help is needed just post your problem I'm sure someone will be able to help. Good luck.

5. lukers

lukers Registered Member

I will attempt this in the spring. I have to see if I can scrape the funds up by then. What is a reasonable price for these?
    Luke

6. BI U JIMMY

BI U JIMMY Registered Member

I have the Mile Marker part time shaft conversion for the NP203 that I no longer need since I picked up a 205 to replace it with. It has never been installed and I have the instructions as well. I am asking $125 for it, they go for around $200 new. let me know
    Jeff

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

But why?? Full-time 4wd is something beautiful. Why would you want to lose it? Mileage will not improve noticeably with it. Besides, you'll have to get off the Blazer and lock your hubs (usually in deep mud) instead of simply moving the transfer's shifter. I say keep it full-time[​IMG].

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. lukers

lukers Registered Member

Blazer79
    This is the first I have heard this comment. I have never wheeled before. Alot of nevers when it comes to trucks. I am converting my C-10 to 4X4 with a K-5 as a donor. My truck will still have the heart of a K-5. (LOL)
    What about all this backing up to get these in and out and all that I have read . Could you enlighten me?
    Luke

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If I were you and wanted to convert, go with the shaft kit from BI U Jimmy. I have the spider gear kit and it worked fine for light offroading, but you will develop alot of slack in the drivetrain. One other thing I did not like after converting, you will need to make sure your linkage is in top notch shape. The reason why, my NP203 after converted constantly popped out of 4lo. Now, this is not from the conversion process, but it certainly did not help to have the T-Case going into 2lo. This brings me to another point. One good thing about convertng is you will now have 2lo. Most people work on their NP205s just to make them have 2lo. You can use 2lo when you have a locker and cannot make a corner, just reach down and slip back the shifter one notch from 4lo. Worked great. I liked the shift-on-the-fly NP203. I have since changed over to the NP205 and I like it much better. When its in gear, theres no slipping out! Linkage is much more simple. I would have to agree with Blazer79 though, why ruin a good thing? I did not notice any gas mileage improvement, plus you are adding a vulnerable part to our truck - locking hubs.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Not trying to impress you or anything. This is just my personal experience[​IMG].

Sometimes when you engage any of the two LOC positions (the real 4wd mode), and go back to the non-LOC positions, the transfer case will act a little stubborn and keep engaged in LOC. To disengage it you just have to back up a few meters and presto, it's back to normal. Nothing out of this world that will cause you any trouble. If you don't want (or can't) backup, after a few hundred yards it will disengange anyway.

Another downside of going part-time is that now that you're running in 2wd, the front output of the transfer case doesn't get lubricated anymore, so if you neglect to engage any of the LOC positions pretty often, it will deteriorate faster. If you keep it full-time and change the oil (remember to use 30 grade engine oil) once in a while, it'll work fine for decades.

Besides, you have a feature that is advertised in new cars as something wonderful, and you wanna give it up? The NP203 is a very strong transfer case, with an even lower LO range than the NP205. I say keep it. But as with everything, it's a personal choice. If you really want to convert it, fine.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>//////
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. lukers

lukers Registered Member

Sounds to me that if it ain't broke don't fix it. So I won't. Are there rebuild kits for these np-203's for cheap?
    Luke

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

MileMaker makes a replacement chain, Summit sells it. I think it's about $80. I'm not sure where to get the rest of the parts, though.

<font color=blue>//////
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

13. lukers

lukers Registered Member

I'll check this out.
    Thanks,
    Luke