Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part-time or Full time 203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Sep 9, 2000.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well as I have posted before I just bought a m1009, I planned on switching everything from my 78 into this except for the axles. But the axles that are on it have lockin hubs on them. My question is can I put my full time 203 in there with out switching anything in the transfercase itself? So in otherwods I would still have a full time transfercase but I would still have to lock the hubs to make it actually work???

Scott
    78blazer

2. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Right. With the hubs locked, the 203 is a full time system. It has a differential in the t-case between the front and rear dirves. If you unlock the front hubs, you don't go anywhere because that third differential just lets the unlocked front axels spin. You can drive in 2x4 mode if you unlock the front hubs and put the T-case into the "lock" position. This locks up the T-case differential so that it will dirve the rear wheels.

3. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well would it be any harder on the transfer case if i was always driving it in Loc??? Maybe I should just switch out the axles anyways?

Scott
    78blazer

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If you still want fulltime operation, you can just swap the fulltime hubs onto your M1009? axle. You may need to swap from the rotor and out though. I've always been under then impression that these interchange between a 10 bolt and a D44 axle.

Or another option would be converting your transfer case to part time, which costs about $100 in kit form from Milemarker.

Good Luck to you. You might ask Grim about the specifics of this, he's REAL GOOD on 203 t-cases.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I run mine in Loc all the time, no harm done yet.

6. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Same for me. I put manual hubs on the front of my '79, but keep them in the LOCK position. No problems yet.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com