Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Part time vs full time

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by horsepit, Jan 6, 2002.

1. horsepit

horsepit Registered Member

Pros and cons? If your not going hard core, more of a pavment pounder, with occasional mud wamping, are locking hubs needed?

Insearch of a Blazer.

2. Ren

Ren Registered Member

If you're talking about the NP203 (full-time) transfer case as compared to a NP208 or NP205 (part time).
    The NP205 is a all gear transfer case it is very strong. The NP203 with fulltime is a chain driven case but it's got a cast iron case like the NP205 (Don't need no frigging skidplate). The NP208 is the newer aluminum case, chain driven, my fluid comes out the back of it when driveshaft is removed P.O.S.
    The full time NP203 is nice as long as some idiot didn't convert it, it gives you the option of 4 Hi on road/4 hi Loc(off road) 4 Lo on road/ 4 Lo-Lock. It does not have locking hubs on the front axle (this is a good thing) The piece of solid steel that is machined to mate the Hub with the stub axle is indestructable, unlike many lifetime warranty extra heavy duty P.O.S. locking hubs made of aluminum. Some people have the impression that the full time 4x4 uses more gas but it doesn't.
    The NP 205 is a stronger overall unit because of the gears in it but it is also a part time (no 4x4 on pavement) transfer case. Use this case when driving with massive tires and upgraded axles. The weak link will either be the locking hubs (which some people call "axle fuses") or the axles themselves.

I enjoyed the convienence of watching all my buddies get out in the mud, or snow or ice and lock their hubs when getting off the pavement while I just shifted her into Hi or Lo lock and preceded to wheel my ass off.

3. horsepit

Ren
    Thanks for the info. How is the best way to find out which I have. It's a 1987 Chevy K5 Silverado auto with out manual hubs.

1987 Blazer, Rancho 4"

4. Ren

Ren Registered Member

Well, you have a NP208, It's a Part time transfer case (4x4 only off road or on low traction surfaces).

This link here: http://slosh.com/cars/brochures/blazer4.html
    has the Dealer Brochures scanned in for every year Blazer ever made it shows the NP208 as being in your truck.

5. horsepit

So it's a part time transfer case, but I have automatic locking hubs. So it's okay if I ever change by axles to a 3/4 ton set up with manual hubs?

1987 Blazer, Rancho 4"

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the automatic hubs on your blazer are not like the hubs used with the 203. the full time rigs had a plain chrome cap on the front axles with a constantly engaged wheel end, it never unlocked, that's why people blamed them for low fuel mileage. the automatic hubs on your blazer unlock themselves, and lock automatically when you engage the transfer case, many of these were replaced with manual hubs, to positively id your transfer case look on the back of the case, if it's aluminum it's an NP208, there should be a small round tag on it which will have the type and low gear ratio on it.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>