Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

parting out a motor home (maybe)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Oblin Goblin, May 17, 2001.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

My parents have an old rundown motorhome built on a '78 chevy van chassis. They say they're just going to give it to whoever wants it but they say they'll let me part it out and sell the parts if I'm willing to put in the effort. The parts that I think would be worth trying to sell are the engine, transmission, and rear axle. The engine is a smallblock 400 with headers and a 4 bbl Holley carb. My dad thinks the heads and the carb need to be rebuilt. The transmission is a th400 with an RV torque converter and I think it worked fine when we parked it behind the barn a few years ago. The rear end is a dually 14 bolt, I think. Anybody have any Idea what I could get for these parts? Anybody interested in any of these parts if I pull them out? My parents live in eastern PA. I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth the effort of taking it apart this summer.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I would be interested in the tranny if it was closer to Colorado.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, that could be one of those TH475's mmmm : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Shhhh

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

What is on the plate on the TH400?

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well... tell us what you want for the parts

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

8. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

yea! part that baby out run an add in your local shopper if the fridge ,stove, furnace and other rv stuff is any good it also has value.
    Mrivan..........
    Ford people don't mow their lawns...........

9. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Say, just a question about interior parts. Does it have a Refrigerator, Stove, etc. I am building up a Motorhome right now, It seems that if you try to find one that is wheelchair feasible it has to be special made, so I am going to do it myself. Only been in a wheelchair for 26 years, don't know why I am so set in my ways. Anyway, I really would be interested in the appliances. What color are they and what type refrigerator & stove, etc.

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hey, I'm in eastern PA, too. Maybe a 14-bolt IS in my future...
    Seriously, is there any difference between a 14-bolt with dual wheels on it and one with singles?

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A 1-ton dually GM cutaway van of that vintage will have a Dana 60 or 70. Its the same width as the Dana 70 on a big dually pickup.

The only items that a 14-bolt dually and single share are axle shafts, backing plates, and gear-sets. The hubs, drums, and housing are different. You can bolt single wheels to the dually diff, but the track width is 3-4" narrower.

12. Oblin Goblin

I'm gonna talk to my dad tommorow or Sunday. I wasn't expecting so much interest. It's been a long time since the motorhomes been run but when we parked it behind our barn 3 or 4 years ago the transmission and rear axle worked fine but the engine drank oil. With only 70000 miles on it my dad figured the valve stem seals were the reason for the high oil consumption. Aside from that the engine worked fine when we parked it. It's going to be the middle of the summer before any of these parts are availible. I'm in school in CA till mid June. I'll let everone know what I find out.

13. Oblin Goblin

Talked to my dad. He's not sure of the conditon of everything since it's been sitting for so many years but everything was the way I thought it was when we parked it. He didn't think the transmission was a th475 but he didn't want crawl in the mud under the motorhome to look for numbers on the tranny. I guess I'd be looking for about $500 - 600 each for the engine transmission and rear end. Like I said it'll be mid summer before I have any of these parts out and ready to go.