Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts and pieces for lift???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shanemcg45, Mar 3, 2005.

1. shanemcg45

shanemcg45 Registered Member

I'm going to install ORD's 1" lift and new body mounts this weekend. Once I start taking everything apart, I won't be able to make any trips to AutoZone or the Chevy dealership to pick up misc. pieces or bolts. Can anyone tell me what all I need to have on hand before I start tearing into the truck. The girlfriend is out of town and she's the designated parts runner. I'm guessing I'll need some 4x4's to hold the body off the frame, new bolts for the ones I have to Sawzall off? :confused:

2. shanemcg45

Also, I haven't bought my floor jack yet. What maximum capacity should I get and how many jackstands will I need? Will I need any special tools other than a Sawzall?

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

If you bought the kit from ORD. It comes with new bolts. Also get plenty of PB blaster :) Also a buddy or two helps.

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

UseYourBlinker, are you sure it comes with new bolts, on the ORD website it says,

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These kits include replacement bushings only. Most kits will require you to re-use some factory hardware such as the stock "cup" washers and do not include new bolts.[/font]

Just wondering, because I'm planning to get new body mounts, too.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, if it is at ALL possible, wait until you have a second rig to run to the store with. I don't think I have ever had a major upgrade go so smoothly that no trips to the store were required. Something always comes up in my experience. If everything is tore apart and you NEED to go out you'll be kicking yourself, believe me.

j

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

they have to come with new bolts, the stock ones arnt long enough, :confused:

7. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

A tap to clean out the bolt holes will also help you from cross threading. It is always good to have a stock of 8 grade bolts around any how. I always carry a kit with my rig that has spare bolts, nuts, and washers. You should wait til you have a parts driver, because you are bound to break something other than what you are working on or you may want to replace something else because it is now accessible. I did a complete frame off on my 75 so I have definitely been there. Good luck and be safe if you do decide to do it alone. Nothing like being stuck under your rig if it falls and nobody around.

8. shanemcg45

Ok I just got the 1" lift from ORD and they have pretty detailed instructions and the the longer bolts are included with the lift. The new body mount kit does not come with new bolts.

9. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Oh, sorry, that makes sense, I was only thinking about the body mounts, not the lift, my bad. :ignore: Should have thought about it more before I put my foot in my mouth. Kinda tastes like chicken, in a bad way.

10. shanemcg45

All along I thought I was going to have to supply the longer bolts myself after reading... These kits include replacement bushings only. Most kits will require you to re-use some factory hardware such as the stock "cup" washers and do not include new bolts. So I was pleasantly surprised to see the new long bolts in the package. I'm sure I'll be posting more this weekend once I start digging into the project. Wish me luck.

11. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

You're making me feel bad, man.:( I guess my foot got farther down my throat than I realized, sorry. Here's what's on the website under body lift,

Includes the hardware for the installation.

Good luck, I'll be watching for your posts to see how it goes. Sorry again for the bad info. I'll shut up now and get off your thread.

12. shanemcg45

No, your info. wasn't bad at all. I actually read ORD's site and thought that the bolts weren't included with the lift either. So don't feel bad, I'm the dumb*ss that placed the order and didn't know exactly what I had bought. :o Oh well, trial and error.

13. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

When I replaced my Body Mount bushings I put on new bolts and used red loctite. Disconnect transmission linkage first. Watch out for the fan hittting the fan shroud. Three of my six bolts were siezed to the nut. I had to cut the floor of my cab to get to the nuts because they just kept spinning as I turned the bolt (I have a truck so it could be a little different). I used a cut off wheel and a Dremel. Just a heads up so I hope it goes smoother for you.