Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts are being collected

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by joez, Jan 24, 2007.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Well, in the never ending debate of "should i keep my truck, should i sell it", i have have decided that no matter what i will not be happy with what the big 3 offer for sale. So, i am going to just build what i want. Here is what i am working with:

[​IMG]

The goal is to end up with a truck that will be primarily a DD (except when i drive my toy in nice weather), my tow rig, and have the ability to wheel some mild trails. I want ~ 5" lift, 37's on H1's, and of course a 60 under the front. Ultimately i will also be replacing the 6.5 with a 6bt, but that will come after the SAS. I have a feeling keeping the total supension lift under 6" may be a challenge, but it should work. The H1's will be unmodified, and as im sure you guessed i am on the hunt for DRW axles to use(figures i just sold a DRW 60 not to long ago, oh well). I am hoping it wont be to wide, but if i have to convert the 60 to SRW then i will.

I already have the H1's, sky's front hanger and shackle hangers should be here soon, shackle flip is next to be ordered, all i have to do now is find me another DRW '60.

I hope to have this stage of the truck built by spring break, so stay tuned.

2. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

kool cant wait, so whgat are you gonna do with the tires and wheels on it right now??

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i got drw hubs . :rolleyes: :D

4. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

I think I'd stick with a SRW but that's just my openion. I forget what the BS is on H1's but I think on a DD'er the SRW would be better. That's an awsome looking truck. I had a 97' that I had the same plans for and it got traded for e D-Max,but now I'm back at the same place. It still has IFS :mad: ,so it's going to have to get SAS'd :D

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I agree with the SRW. Find a cheap Ford D60, and build it around H2 wheels or something similar. Should make a smoother ride with aluminum wheels and 37" tires. I think that 37's and around 6" of lift should be doable. I have 35's and 4" of lift. Backspacing will be the key.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yup, you're screwed. unless you want to run flat springs.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I will be cutting sky's hanger down, and mounting the shackle hangers as high on the frame as i can. I figure with 2.5" springs i can get overall lift down to the ~5" i want.

As i said, i will start out with a DRW and if its to wide with the H1 wheels(7" of bs) i will convert it to SRW and choose a different wheel/tire combo. In the yards i shop at, 80's and 90's Ford DRW stuff is more common. Even though this truck wont get wheeled often, i still want to have beadlocks on the rig. Why you ask, because im not exactly right in the head, or so i was told last week when asked why i want beadlocks on my tow rig. Plus, you never know, this truck may get driven to and wheeled at BlazerBash next year, instead of bringing my toy.