Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

parts companies for '49-'53

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by hawglet, Oct 20, 2003.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

parts companies for \'49-\'53

My Dad and I are working on restoring a '49 panel. We are working on suspension and want to go with an independent front with probably 4 link in rear. Looking for a great ride on the road. He is going to leave it 2wd, unfortunatly, but either way I am wondering if anyone know of some possible companies for parts? Also if anyone has done a 49-53 IFS swap any input would REALLY help. We are looking at the IFS system from either an s-10 or f-body. That is all I have been able to find that SUPPPOSEDLY works pretty well and is fairly easy. Thanks guys, in advance.

2. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Re: parts companies for \'49-\'53

Hey there was an article in one of the truck magazines - I think sport truck - and they mounted a pickup that body style on an s-10 frame. They shortened the wheelbase to fit but the width was right. Im building a 53 suburban for my wife to drive but its gonna be 4 wheel drive.

3. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Sweet, you really don't know how much that helps, my dad and I have been argueing about what to use and what will work. He wants to keep it 2wd I really think it would be easier to make it 4wd. But if it has to be 2wd it had better ride damn nice and have speed and horse/torque behind it. Anyway, do you remember what issue the article was in by chance?

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

5. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Yeah Kenny beat me to the stovebolt page, I remembered them today. Ill look and see if I can find the magazine, it seems like it was 5-6 months ago.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member