Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts finder help, Brake parts>>>

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Howdy gang
    I need new brake lines.

The ones I need are the really short ones that go inbetween the Master Cylinder and the Perportioning(sp?) Valve.

When I swapped over to 1ton stuff I had to but the one in the back to the front and the front tot he back. The lines are now on the verge of cracking due to my sucky bending skills.

Do I have to goto a junkyard or can they be bought new?

Has anyone ever replaced them???

Thanks Gang
    Burt

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

they can be made, took me a try or two but finally got them made. I bought a tube bender and had to take it apart to corretly bend the lines(use your bench vice if you can). make sure you get the one that comes with interchangable shoes, the ones you can use one shoe at a time. not the 3-in-1 that'll make your life impossible. Also, make sure you flare before you make that last tight bend or else the flare tool wont give you enought tube to flare.

ARQ.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So did you cut up the old ones and re-use the nuts?

The tubing is small but the nut is big, you can't buy them that way. Well I haven't found any like that. And the other one is the opposite were the tubing is big but the nut is small.???

Thanks
    Burt

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately you probably will need to swap some of your ends over to some new line. I recently put a 78 3/4 ton master cylinder on my 70 K5 and I couldn't find line with the correct size ends. You might try taking your old lines and seeing if you can take their generic straight lines and then look at their adapter fittings and see if you can use adapters to get to the correct ends.

Probably easier to get a bender, a flare tool and cutter and make them yourself though.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

An old trick I learned: Pack the lines with wet sand before bending them-the sand keeps the lines from kinking. When you're done bending them, just hold them under a faucet to flush them out.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys, I didn't think they are still made. I'll have to make them up I guess. I do have a bender and flareing tool so I should beable to make um up.

Burt

7. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Yup, make your own. I made some using the 1ft sections of brake tubing sold at PepBoys (behind the parts counter). They have an assortment of diameters so you can get the correct type for both lines. They also have the ferrell nut jobbies on them. You'll cut one end off and reflare the end you cut. Just use your bender to shape and a double flare tool and you're done.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK Cool! Thanks. Now if I could only get the one line to unscrew from the P-valve ahahaha

Anyway thanks for the reply
    Burt

9. schendel

schendel Registered Member

New Brake lines

I went to Inline Tube and bought all new brake lines. They were prebent and with the correct ends on them. The lines included master cylinder to p-valve and all the rest. They also sell the flex lines from the frame to the brakes and they are available in Stainless.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I just got off the phone with inline tube. They have them for 28 bucks shipped
    At this point I want new stuff, my current nuts on the tubes are almost stripped anyway so I ordred them, I found this pic. They are the little ones on the left
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for jogging my memory about online tube:xmas:

11. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Am I missing something here? I thought we were discussing lines to go on a 1-ton master cylinder but use the 1/2 ton P-valve. The stock lines are reversed so you need custom lines. Does Inline sell the custom reversed lines?:xmas:

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

It is my understanding that the P-vavle is the same 1/2 ton or 1ton...???

Yes the 1ton stuff I have is opposite of 1/2 ton master(front brakes is now the back resavor and visa versa).
    I ordered the 1Ton stuff for a 72 K30 4x4, so I am hopeing they are bent opposite the 1/2 ton stuff.
    Even if I have to bend them a lil bit the new ones will be WAY better than what I have now:xmas:

I didn't say anything to him(that I was working on a modified K5) just cuz I didn't want to open a can o worms then have to expalin everything hehehehehe

13. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I never explain my weird applications to the parts guys either. It just confuses them ;) HeHe. If the P-valve is the same on 1-ton and 1/2 ton then there won't be a problem. I was told they are different to match the master but please do post for the archives when you get your lines and find out. Bending them might be tough if they aren't right though. I had started with some pretty fresh ones when I attempted to bend them and I ended up kinking em good. You may have better luck than me since you will be using a bender:blush: . The fresh set I made after I bought the bending tool look great and were very cheap ( although I spent about 30 bucks on the flare tool and bender:( .

Good luck Sir!

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I went back to InlineTube's web site and looked up the P-Vavles they have for sale. They do not list one for 1/2 ton or 1ton, just front disk rear drum or 4wheel disk so it doesn't seam like the Pvalve is different. But like you said I will find out once I get the tubes. Atleast now I can use vice grips to get the old rusted ones out and not have to reuse them:D They should be here in a week...
    LAter
    Burt

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Just received my brake lines from inline tube and they are the right ones for using a 1ton master! They are bent opposite of the 1/2 ton stuff:xmas:
    Getting closer, this weekend I hope to spend some quality time in the manspace to get all the lil things hooked back up:D

16. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for posting the outcome. It's good to get the right info from a first hand source. I stand corrected.:o :D :xmas:

17. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

That is great news - sure is nice when things go as planned!