Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts for 1973-1987 GM trucks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by James670X, Dec 8, 2004.

1. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Who offers/sales new parts (oem, nos, etc...) for 1973-1987 GM trucks in Canada, Alberta or B.C. in particular, as I am looking for a rubber floormat and floormat pad for my 1988 Chevrolet V30 (old style, sfa).
    Thanks in advance.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you want OEM/NOS then GM is about the only place you can go. I believe there is at least one other place that stockpiles parts before GM disco's them, but I don't know who that is.

gmpartsdirect.com is typically the best way to go, but I'm not sure how that would work for Canada.

My experience with LMC is that fit/finish is *crap* and anything precision fit like body parts, seals, gaskets, carpet, or carpet backing, I would seriously hesitate to purchase from them, regardless of price difference between OEM stuff and theirs. I'd pay double the cost for a piece to know it fits, (in other words, GM) and slightly more importantly, to know that it is going to last just as long as the original stuff. Flooring is probably one of the most commonly replaced pieces on older vehicles that fit and build are very important, and all I have heard from anyone that has had aftermarket stuff, is that fit, finish, and durability, is nothing like OEM.

Very few parts on these GM vehicles can stand to be more poorly made, yet the seals I got from LMC were borderline worthless, thats what I base my opinion on. The stuff was made in Thailand, (no offense to any Thai's, just that it wasn't coming from some original supplier for GM) the felt was falling off before I took it out of the box, and the rear window seal didn't fit into the channel right due to a design flaw. I contacted them about the problem, (they were very willing to give me my money back and let me keep the piece, but I NEEDED the piece to work) sent a factory sample to their "engineers" and never heard from them again.

I understand that many things are disco'd from GM, but even if GMPD doesn't have it, most (all?) GM dealers can search the other dealerships for stock left on the shelves. I got a factory transmission cooler setup for my '83 K5 that way, and it was discontinued at that time.