Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts I'll preach forever that I have (add yours here)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jul 23, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Parts I\'ll preach forever that I have (add yours here)

Okay, these are all the parts I really love about my truck that I'd buy again.

1. Comp Xtreme 4x4 Cam (how many of you guys have 250 HP 305s?
    2. Edelbrock Performer
    3. Edelbrock carburator (I have both 500 and 600 CFM models, 1404, and 1405, respectively)(I'd prefer a Q-jet, that's my winter project, I'm running the 500 Edelbrock now)
    4. Dynomax Jet-Hot coated headers and exhaust pipe kit. I used glasspack mufflers and they're okay
    5. Rancho Suspension, no matter what the vehicle. My 4" kit rides like a dream. I have RS 5000 shocks too.
    6. BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, I have the 35x12.50R15 variety, they work great, I'm not going to preach them over other off-road tires, but they're great tires
    7. U.S. Wheel's steel wheels. I have 15x10 8 lug ones, they look good and were cheap, but I'm not saying they're better than any other steel wheels.
    8. Moroso 7 qt. oil pan, fit great
    9. Melling High volume oil pump, gives tons of oil pressure
    10. 700R4s. You can call them junk all you want, but they're my favorite automatic. I want an NV 4500 bad, but the 700 will do for now
    11. NP 208/241 I know it's not as strong as a 205 or 203, but it has a way better low range
    12. 14 bolt semi floaters--strong, simple as a 12 bolt or 10 bolt, and huge shafts, bearings, and 33 spline axles.
    13. Warn Manual locking hubs, premium style. I've got 'em, I trust them, and I wouldn't trust my truck to anything else
    14. This is kinda a joke, but 305 SBCs. I've got a rebuilt one in my truck that I picked up for $100, and I know it's not the best or even close to one of the better small blocks that GM made, but 250 HP @ 4500 and 330 lb-ft @ 3000 is pretty impressive I must say for my 305. Hog out the heads, put a bigger cam it it, and spin it to 5000 or so and I'd bet I could hit 300 HP easily, but I don't want to, I don't want to give up the torque.

Places I buy parts from:

JC Whitney for few items as it's down the street from my house
    Jeg's
    Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers--they've never screwed me
    Autozone--way better than Napa, much better employees, cheaper prices
    Napa--for carrying Wix oil filters, that's all I'll use (Napa Gold, that's all I go to Napa for)

Place to avoid:
    Summit. I love my rims but it took a month to special order them and I was supposed to have them in 3 days. It took a whole week on the phone or they'd never have been shipped at all. What a shame.

I can't think of any others, but that's pretty much my list for now.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Parts I\'ll preach forever that I have (add yours here)

Hey Tim, did that Comp cam make a big difference?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

" Wider IS Better!!!"

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well, I'd say so. I'd say that between the cam, intake, carb, and headers, if I can make a 145 HP 305 make 70% more power, that's an improvement, wouldn't you think so?

My new motor has more power than my old one every did. I've got the smallest Comp Xtreme 4x4--but that's not the point. The ramps are so agressive that it makes monster torque. There's a reason that was the first thing that came to mind. The reason is the unbelievable power that my 305 produces.

It's a long story, but it was supposed to be a 350. When I bought it, it was a 350. For 4 months while it sat on my garage floor, it was a 350. A week before I put it in, when I already had the parts for it, I checked the number--and it was a 305. I just figured what the hell, put it togther, and ended up with this! I love it and wouldn't trade it for any stock or even mildly modified 350.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You shouldn't have left it sitting in the garage so long - 45 CI ran away!!!!! At 45ci/4mo, you only had 31 months before the entire thing was gone.

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't agree on the places to not go to because I always use Summit and guess what, I ordered my USWheel White Tracker's from them in 15x10 8 lug. You complain about a month well mine just came in today and I ordered them 8 weeks ago. I guess after dealing with Summit for over 10 years now it is hard to go someplace else.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I second 4WPW for parts. I know a lot of people don't like them, and I wouldn't have them actually work on my truck. But its often hard to beat their prices. And when you are looking for a part on a budget, its hard to pass them up. I can usually get mail order prices from the local retail store. Its always good to have a local place to return things if it doesn't work out.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

7. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

You've had problems with Summit? I ordered a couple of things there.. but nothing as heavy as rims. Man, they shipped everything lightning fast. I was impressed cuz it got to my doorstep faster than Jegs.
    Anyway, my favorite part I added to my truck HAS to be the Megashifter.. it's just soo awesome going through the gears like a manual, but without a clutch. I think I may put one in my 87 when I get a new body for the thing. Definately worth the $ since I won't have to worry about linkage snapping, and I could finally get into 1st gear (body lift screwed up gear selection in the 87). I'd reccommend getting a shifter like that and ditching the column crap.

<a target="_blank" href=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</a>
    Billybob, the REAL <font color=red>Bionic Redneck</font color=red>

8. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

4 wheel parts wholesuckers = [​IMG]
    Summit Racing = [​IMG]
    West Coast Differentials = [​IMG]
    CB

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 4" lift, 38" TSL's on steel wheels

9. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you have a super combination parts working in your 305. I wish my 350 was that good. Were your h.p. figures generated on a chassis dyno or at the flywheel? Thanks,
    John

So MUCH to do, So LITTLE cash.