Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts Interchange Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So I plan on getting a 14bsf shortly from a 81-87 chevy truck so i won't have to move the spring perches. But i will also want to convert it to 6 lug. So my question is that is the newer body style (88-up) 14bsf 6 lug axel shafts interchangable with the older style 8 lug shafts? Also I guess I'd have to get new brake drums too, so are those interchangable too?

2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

I dont think you can change them out because in 87 they went to metric on axle lugs

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

lug studs are an easy change, however, i would advise against using the pre-88 housing. its much easier and cheaper to move 2 perches, and 2 shock mounts than it is to buy and swap 2 axle shafts and 2 complete brake assemblies.

4. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

What he said ^ ^ ^ :thumb:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nope....

The 88 and newer 14 bolt SF axles are wider,so I doubt the shafts would swap into an older one..you have 2 choices,get a newer 6 lug SF and re-weld the spring perches in the correct location,or use an older one that will bolt right in,and bring 2 spare tires,one 6 lug rim and one 8 lugger...but if you go with an 8 lug SF,you might as well buy a FF axle instead..

I wonder why there isnt any "dual bolt pattern" rims for 6 and 8 lug trucks...I have several "space saver" rims that have 10 holes,to fit the 4-3/4" or 5" lug pattern on 2wd S10's and C10's....they should market some dual pattern rims so we wont have to swap 8 lug outers on the front too!..:crazy:

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

something about 2 lug holes lining up exactly, making it necessary for 2 elongated lug holes, not a good idea at all.

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The problem is I don't have a welder. But actually, my neighbor does. So I will have to see. Swapping axel shafts is no biggy, or the brakes for that matter.

Are the 88 and up 6 lug brakes the same as the older style 8 lug brakes? Is it just the drums that are different, or is the entire brake setup different?

8. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have a 10 bolt front and 14bolt FF rear 8 lug for sale.......

9. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

It's not that swapping axle shafts and brakes are difficult. It is simply that you will wind up spending double the money, making the swap much less cost effective. The whole point of doing a 14bsf swap is to add beef at minimal cost. :deal: Otherwise, you might as well swap in a 14bff, an 8 lug 10b or D44 front, and get a set of 8 lug rims :tongue1:

If you don't have a welder (or adequate welding skills) then cut the perches and shock mounts off, clean up the tubes, perches, etc. and mark where they need to be welded. Then have either a buddy with a welder or a shop weld 'em on for you. Be present with a tape measure and angle finder so you can double-check the location and angle of the perches and mounts after they tack em up.