Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts near Phoenix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Mar 12, 2001.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm finally going to get some time to work on my project the last week of this month. My son (this is a father/son project) will be out for spring break and I'm taking part of the week off. Anyway, I'm converting a diesel LWB 1 ton into a TBI 350 and cutting it down to Blazer dimensions. As you can imagine, there are many things I need. Most will come from local yards (I don't have room for a parts vehicle). Anyway, I thought maybe if anyone nearby had some of the stuff I need, maybe we could get together. So, here it is.

I would like to find a rough/cheap Blazer body to save me cutting/welding my body. Doesn't need to be nice like most people would want for dual purpose rigs, I'll just be banging it up anyway. If I can find a blazer body, I'll be selling/trading my cab/bed which is pretty decent. I also got a brand new 85 GM front cap (still has the stickers!) with the truck. It would be a shame to trash it if someone needs it and wants to trade. I also need allot of little stuff like a fuel tank (I think I can make a SWB FI work with the cut down frame), throttle cable, etc. Obviously I can't put everything here so send me an email if you are in the area and interested in my stuff or willing to part with parts.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Why don't you just buy a Blazer and swap the drivetrain? It would be a whole lot cheaper and easier in the long run. You can swap the drivetrain into the truck from the Blazer and then sell it whole. Just my $.02 worth.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Just Truck And Van...35th and Lower Buckeye...they have at least 6 K5's in the yard right now...plus plenty of parts.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

4. BadDog

Generally, that is exactly what I would do. However, I wanted the stronger frame from the K30 since I have twisted and broken a K5 and a SWB K10 frame in the past. Also, the K30 was purchased as a project base, not a complete truck (major point, missing diesel) so I would still have to buy the parts and get it all together to sell the extra. Cutting down the frame is not that much trouble. Cutting and welding the body, now that is another matter, but I've done similar things in the past so I'm not worried. Major benefit to cutting my body down is that I have more flexibility in setting the wheel base and rear over hang.

The main point is that it gives me a project to work on with my son. After we're done and he knows the truck from one end to the other, we will have a dedicated trail machine (no dual purpose rig here) that we can go out and play with impunity. In the mean time, I'll teach him to wrench on the truck and a little about fabrication and welding. Next, I'll help him build his first car. No "Daddy bought me a brand new Camaro" for this kid.

Anybody see that gray Blazer in the April Peterson's? That is sort of what I envision for this rig. One thing for sure, I was always worried about messing up the body on my old K5, I don't want to worry about sheet metal this time. I think the guy with the gray Blazer and I would get along fine... [​IMG]

Bad Dog

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    sounds COOL to me! [​IMG]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hey, sounds like a big project. If you need a fiberglass topper lemme know. I have a spare in the back yard. I'm in Tucson.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

7. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

well... i'm looking for a clean body for my '89 and I'm planning on coming out there this june/july. I need a rust & dent free body for mine. The tub I have is rusted at the rockers, tailgate, back floor. on the out side it doesn't look bad at all but the body mounts have punched through the rear floor and it's just too much work for me to replace the panels. lemme know if you're interested

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

8. BadDog

Ok, thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I find a Blazer tub. Won't do me much good if I "roll my own" [​IMG]. BTW, what model top? I'm hoping to find a 73-5 tub with full open top...

Bad Dog

9. BadDog

Well, the front cap is brand new (still black primer and GM stickers). The cab and body are rust free, but not dent free. It's actually pretty decent and easily dealt with by a decent body man but there are a number of minor dings and such. Nothing too bad. The guy I got the truck from bought the cab and bed from a local yard (he had rolled it over and ruined the military body) with the intention of fixing and painting it. Contact me before you come out and we can talk.

Bad Dog

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmm I think he said it came off of an 80. Anyway, its a half top. not the whole roof for the earlier models

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

11. BadDog

So, you guys that are in Phoenix, what yards do you like or not and why? I've been here for a year now and I've fooled with a few but I don't "know my way around" and there are a large number to choose from. Which yards have the best selection, prices, good staff, etc. I called one a while back and nobody could speak english at all, had to just hang up...

Bad Dog

12. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I go to 19th Ave auto wrecking, (north west of 19th Ave and deer valley on 20th or 21st ave[​IMG]) Used to be called "Freds U steal it"
    oh wait, that's what we called it[​IMG] "Freds U pull it" was the real name.
    They are still about the same though (if you know what I mean[​IMG]) they will let you wander around in there all you want[​IMG].
    Also there is a place across the street I think it is called "Crown truck salvage"
    Mainly these places are just closer to me, is why I go there.

You really have to watch ALL boneyards prices though![​IMG]
    cause sometimes for a few dollars more you can buy "NEW", with a "Lifetime Guarantee"

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Scoobydoo on 03/16/01 12:07 PM (server time).</FONT></P>