Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts needed to do 465 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az ranger, Dec 30, 2004.

1. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I am planning to do the swap from the 700r4 to sm465 and I want to keep my 208. I am trying to make a parts list

4x4 sm 465 32 spline output years 80-88 I think

new input sleeve for the 208 to change from 27 to 32 spline

transfercase adapter ? will I need this?

flywheel

clutch, I want to do a hydro setup not sure what all I need here (1985 and up for hydro I think?)

pedal and linkage

I am going to try and find a donor truck with most of these parts if I can. Is there anything major I am forgetting

as far as ball park prices I am planning for $500 for the tranny $50 for input sleeve.unknown for adapter hopfully It will be on donor truck. $70 for flywheel. $200 for clutch. pedal and linkage off donor truck. does this sound about right.

thanks

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Depending on what year your truck is you might need a computer. I will be interested in doing this as well

you might want to check this out

Clicky

3. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 jimmy, what will the computer be used for?

I guess I will have to lengthen my drive shaft in the rear and shorten the one in front since the the 465 is 12 inches compared to 18 inches of 700r4.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Damn if I didn't have to leave this weekend I could make you a deal! I have all that crap! I was going to do the 465 but decided to go with a 400 instead....

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not to sure on the computer it was just a guess. Not to sure when 700r4s got all computerized but if your truck spits out a funky error code It means " Oh Sh!t where did the tranny go" My friend needed it in his xploder when he did his swap.

6. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

where you going this weekend and when will you be back? I might be interesed in the smaller stuff if shipping is not to much.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Probably easiest to find a 465/208 combo and just buy it complete. It's gonna cost way more to piece it together.

The 465 you need is the 81 and up version. 1980 would still have had the 10 spline version backed by an NP205.

Any reason you're keeping the 208? Not that it's a terrible T-case, but there are better out there IMO. It's kind of a pain to SYE a 208, and the aluminum case is something I always worry about. The deeper low range was something I was willing to lose in return for strength when I swapped my 465/208 for a 465/205 five years ago.

Hydro clutch is 85 and up. bit of a long shot but you might find a complete parts truck with the combo you're looking for. 85 up half ton 4x4 with the 4 speed would have everything you need.

Rene

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You need the clutch setup including pedal, tranny, shifter, adapter, and input gear for the 208.

Harley

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm going back to Camp Pendleton and I don't have a forkin clue when I'll get leave again....hopefully I'll get some before I go to Iraq... :deal:

10. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

Any reason you're keeping the 208? Not that it's a terrible T-case, but there are better out there IMO. It's kind of a pain to SYE a 208, and the aluminum case is something I always worry about. The deeper low range was something I was willing to lose in return for strength when I swapped my 465/208 for a 465/205 five years ago.

Thanks for the replies, I plan to keep the 208 becuase I already have done SYE on it.

Will I need an adapter to mount the 465 to the 208 other than the input gear? Will the bolt holes match up?

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Almost tempted to trade straight across sm465/np208 and associated evrything for manual linkage , but I already told justhorsinaround that IF I got rid of the 4 speed setup I would trade for his th350 and np203 :(

12. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

keep me in mind if you change your mind.